Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Refund for rust linux users being deined after being promised.
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
tsrnc22 Sep 6, 2019
Ya Steam says Facepunch has not authorized it https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1636418037463942536/?tscn=1567726813, Facepunch says its steam https://rust.facepunch.com/blog/updated-linux-plans . Refunds are being denied. People are getting upset.
Ehvis Sep 6, 2019
The linked post also says that you can't do it just yet because they have to arrange things with Valve. It also says that there will be another post when the refund is available. Since this hasn't happened, were you really expecting it to work?
WorMzy Sep 6, 2019
Interestingly, they've quietly added a new requirement for you to claim a refund:
QuoteIf you're a Linux player and would like a refund please make sure you have run the game at least once on Linux within the past year and claim your refund via Steam's usual methods.

There was no mention of that in the original announcement
QuoteSo our rules on eligibility for refunds:

• Should have played at least once on Linux

• Hours played are irrelevant

• We don't care if you've played on Windows too

That's a nice little addition to make in the patch notes for the version that removes the ability to play on Linux.

I don't think I'm eligible with this new rule. :/
Klaas Sep 6, 2019
Isn't there a way to download an older version?
jo3fis Sep 8, 2019
Just refunded mine yesterday and it went through without a problem.
Liam Dawe Sep 8, 2019
If you do refund it, please try and put that money into the hands of a developer who supports Linux :)
WorMzy Sep 8, 2019
QuoteWe are unable to refund this purchase to your Steam Wallet at this time. Your playtime of an included product exceeds 2 hours (our refund policy maximum).

Boo. :(
Liam Dawe Sep 8, 2019
Quoting: WorMzy
QuoteWe are unable to refund this purchase to your Steam Wallet at this time. Your playtime of an included product exceeds 2 hours (our refund policy maximum).

That's wrong. Quote the Facepunch blog post and do it again until they approve.
WorMzy Sep 8, 2019
I tried with the following request:
QuoteI would like to claim a refund as per https://rust.facepunch.com/blog/updated-linux-plans#eligibility

But I'll resubmit it and see if I was just unlucky..

EDIT:
Resubmitted with:
QuoteMy previous refund request was denied, but I don't think the request was correctly evaluated. Facepunch are offering refunds regardless of time played, since they are discontinuing the Linux client. Please see https://rust.facepunch.com/blog/updated-linux-plans#eligibility

Relevant quote:
"So our rules on eligibility for refunds:
- Should have played at least once on Linux
- Hours played are irrelevant
- We don't care if you've played on Windows too"
Liam Dawe Sep 8, 2019
Do let us know how you get on as they have to honour it.
WorMzy Sep 8, 2019

I'll try installing and launching the game with proton, just in case it is the "at least once on Linux within the past year" rule that's tripping me up (I mean, technically I'll be "playing the game on Linux", right?), but I'm not holding out hope this will help.

Kinda worried that if I file too many refund requests in a short time frame, I'll end up getting myself blacklisted by Valve. Hopefully there's some sort of appeals process if it comes to that.

EDIT: didn't need to use proton to launch the game, there's still a Linux launcher, it just doesn't find any content so can't load the main menu. New request submitted:

QuotePlease don't just close this because I have over two hours playtime. The game no longer works on Linux, and the dev has explicitly offered people affected by this refunds, regardless of time played. Please see https://rust.facepunch.com/blog/updated-linux-plans#eligibility for details.

Relevant quote:
"So our rules on eligibility for refunds:
- Should have played at least once on Linux
- Hours played are irrelevant
- We don't care if you've played on Windows too"

If it still gets rejected, I guess appealing to Facepunch with my refund request ticket ID is my next option.

EDIT2: Looks like third time is the charm. Not sure if starting the game up one last time helped, or if the person who looked at my last request actually read the blog post. Either way, I've got a £14.99 refund pending.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.