Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
valve futex/fsync patches have been ported to zen kernel
Koopacabras Sep 7, 2019
I´m a big fan of the zen kernel somehow I missed this and didn't notice the update till now, but since the 25th of august fsync/futex valve patches have been ported to zen kernel. I think that means zen kernel 5.2.11 and above.

I'm just trying zen kernel 5.2.13 zen1 (manually compiled) and it seems to be working ok.
I don't know if this is included in the liquorix ppa
I'm not sure if liquorix carries the same patches.

If anyone doesn't know what futex/fsync patch is, it is an improvement of the esync implementation to better integrate to Proton and improve performance, some proton games have a huge benefit in terms of performance from that patch.

You might want to update because this is a newer kernel than the 5.0.20 at the valve ppa repo.
massatt212 Sep 17, 2019
can you compile one with Kernel 4.18
Some reason my Mesa and AMDVLK driver doesnt work with any newer Kernels above 5.0
Ubuntu 18.04.3
Koopacabras Sep 18, 2019
Quoting: massatt212can you compile one with Kernel 4.18
Some reason my Mesa and AMDVLK driver doesnt work with any newer Kernels above 5.0
Ubuntu 18.04.3

zen kernel only maintains 5.2, 5.3 and 5.1 branches.
massatt212 Sep 21, 2019
can you help me out a bit
i install Ubuntu 18.04 and some reason no Kernel Above 4.18/4.19 plays games properly, their is huge fps drops like 50% performance
Ubuntu 19.04 Works properly with any Kernel, but ubuntu 19 not working with some games
i used ukuu to install 4.18 just to check performance and it goes back up to normal
idk if i have to upgrade my llvm RADV idk i rather use Ubuntu 18, cause i can swap sessions to SteamOS for the Console look
if im install Kernel wrong can some one advice me on how to do it
Koopacabras Sep 22, 2019
I'm using KDE neon which is based on Ubuntu 18.04 and I don't notice any performance drop. You can still use kernel 4.19 here you can download the latest https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.19.75/
it's a long term support kernel so it should be safe to use daily

just download the file that's named  linux-image-unsigned-4.19.75-041975-generic_4.19.75-041975.201909210733_amd64.deb

open a terminal go to where the file is located , probably you need to cd to Downloads folder like this

cd ~/Downloads

and then install it with this command
sudo dpkg -i --force-all   linux-image-unsigned-4.19.75-041975-generic_4.19.75-041975.201909210733_amd64.deb

It would be useful to know what's you hardware maybe this is some regression affecting your hardware? not sure. I'm on polaris hardware and it's been more than three years since I had any regression.

Unfortunately the fsync patch hasn't been ported to older kernels. But esync should work.
Shmerl Sep 23, 2019
What's a zen kernel exactly? The repo doesn't give any description.
lucinos Sep 23, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlWhat's a zen kernel exactly? The repo doesn't give any description.

They customize Linux for optimal desktop experience.

Once upon a time they had a wiki that explained everything. Unfortunately they lost it for ever and now nobody really knows. Since every information about the project is lost for ever one should wonder how it is still going.
Koopacabras Sep 26, 2019
QuoteAs I understood it:

https://github.com/zen-kernel/zen-kernel/releases/tag/v5.2.13-zen1 - latest release tag for 5.2 branch has commit f39367fdbc68e8b1e623239d13db6efaa5a67ae1 in it, this is probably the one people will want to build if still on 5.2 for some reason

f39367fdbc68e8b1e623239d13db6efaa5a67ae1 hasn't been included in https://github.com/zen-kernel/zen-kernel/releases/tag/v5.3.1-zen1 (released 4 days ago), but it has been merged into 5.3/master 3 days ago, which means that to get fsync on 5.3.x release needs to either:
- go linux-zen-git (which tracks and builds off 5.3/master branch) or
- wait for the next 5.3.x-zen1 tag release
(edit: deleted an option that didn't make sense in the context - obviously)

thanks for the clarification so zen 5.2.13 and upwards should have the patch. Hopefully zen 5.3.2 will carry it too.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.