You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Origin sucks linux gamers should not buy games from there
Koopacabras Sep 13, 2019
anyone having trouble with Origin client? it breaks like clockwork on every update. Just beware origin is really unfriendly to linux, another game distributor that goes to my "never buy" checklist. Why they can't just put their games on steam, a lot of their games work with wine but since they need the origin client they keep breaking every time.

I decided I wanted to play Dead Space 3, I mean it's 7 year old game, it should work, right? worst decision ever now a origin update broke the installation and can't continue the game. I'm on chapter 10 at the middle of the game, I want to punch Origin CEO on the face.

Honestly they deserve the same threat as Epic games, I hate them badly.:><:
lucinos Sep 13, 2019
My rule is
only drm-free or steam or at least free (as in free beer). Also maybe the paradox client?
sr_ls_boy Sep 13, 2019
Try turning off automatic updates and use this.
Salvatos Sep 13, 2019
I decided never to use Origin again long before I switched to Linux. Real piece of crap.
lucinos Sep 13, 2019
Quoting: SalvatosI decided never to use Origin again long before I switched to Linux. Real piece of crap.

The first time I used any such client was in 2013 with steam. Before that I only ever used disks (floppy and later optical, I also had tapes with spectrum), (and before I completely switched to linux I had really-really slow internet anyway).
Koopacabras Sep 13, 2019
Quoting: SalvatosI decided never to use Origin again long before I switched to Linux. Real piece of crap.

yeah I'm not going to continue with the game, maybe with some tweaks I can fix it, but I'm not going put up with this crap when I got quite a bunch of games on my backlog that work perfectly fine, and I'm even including proton games, this year I finished a lot of proton games without any issues at all. And I'm talking of newer games from 2017/2018 like Hellblade or Just Cause 4, just click and run. DS3 is 2013 game, Directx 9, I mean come on, I'm sure they have milked the cow enough by now, why EA can't just put old games on steam??
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.