You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
How is a steam sale counted in case of presents?
kokoko3k Nov 13, 2019
Christmas incomes and i've filled my wishlist of games.
Friends and parents are already buying them for me as sales arrives, but they will give me the keys on Christmas day, of course.
Now i wonder... since they would buy them from Windows, how will those sale be counted?
I mean, i know that Steam counts a purchase as a Linux sale only if you buy the game from Linux OR play it more on Linux during the first 14 days after *purchase*.

...but does this mean that all of my presents will be counted as Windows sales or the "countdown" will start after i activate the key?

Last edited by kokoko3k on 13 November 2019 at 6:56 am UTC
Ehvis Nov 13, 2019
Since Steam doesn't count it as a sale at all, it would depend on what the store does where you bought the key. So far I've only heard that Humble properly separates sales by platform.
kokoko3k Nov 13, 2019
They would get them directly from Steam.
Quoting: Ehvisit would depend on what the store does where you bought the key.
They would get them directly from Steam.
Ehvis Nov 13, 2019
Quoting: kokoko3kThey would get them directly from Steam.

It was related to the "activate the key" bit.

As for Steam gifts, there is no reason to suspect that it would make any difference compared to regular purchases.
kokoko3k Nov 13, 2019
Fine, let's hope so :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.