You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
HTC Vive ??
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Julius Oct 1, 2020
Quoting: slaapliedjeI wish they would finally fix the lighthouses not waking up over bluetooth.

They go into sleep? I only got the 1.0 Lighthouse boxes and they seems to be on all the time unless I cut the power.

Another issue I noticed (seems to be known according to the Valve issue tracker) is that the Vive Pro headphones sometimes switch into a really low quality mode (super annoying with a music game like Beat Saber) and it takes some random fiddling to get it back to high(er) quality :(
slaapliedje Oct 1, 2020
Quoting: Julius
Quoting: slaapliedjeI wish they would finally fix the lighthouses not waking up over bluetooth.

They go into sleep? I only got the 1.0 Lighthouse boxes and they seems to be on all the time unless I cut the power.

Another issue I noticed (seems to be known according to the Valve issue tracker) is that the Vive Pro headphones sometimes switch into a really low quality mode (super annoying with a music game like Beat Saber) and it takes some random fiddling to get it back to high(er) quality :(
Huh, I hadn't had the headphone issue with my Vive Pro.

Under Windows, when you close out SteamVR the lighthouses will go to sleep. Under Linux, they won't wake back up. Like you say, I have to unplug them then plug them in again to get them to wake up. It's the bluetooth portion that isn't working right.
slaapliedje Oct 1, 2020
Quoting: damarrinI can only speak from experience with the Index, but it's generally ok. Sometimes SteamVR needs to be restarted for something to work again, sometimes it won't start, that's about it. I also haven't been able to get a single VR video player to work, they all start on the monitor and not the headset, if at all.

The big problem with nvidia is lack of async reprojection, which basically means horrible stutter. My 980Ti is borderline unusable, I had to put my index in 80 hz mode and reduce rendering res to have a fairly smooth experience in HL:A. No Man's Sky is unplayable on any settings. OFC a faster card will deal with this better, which I guess the 2060 must be.
Yeah, I have a 2080 in mine, and the Index definitely needs something hire than a 980 (can't speak for the 980 Ti, but last Christmas I brought my 'portable' system over with a 980 in an eGPU case over to my sister's house, and it ran like garbage on the Index. Runs fine on the original Vive. Pushing that extra resolution / refresh just put the 980 on it's knees.) Would be nice if nvidia would provide reprojection to smooth that out, instead of forcing us to buy faster cards to get the smoothness... as it is, I'm probably eventually going to get a 3080 just for VR... maybe I can finally play Elite: Dangerous in Linux... except I now have a Thrustmaster Warthog, and I need someone to port their awesome software over to Linux...

Quoting: damarrinOh, and I have to manually switch the audio device to the headset every time I start VR. That gets annoying very quickly.
I could have sworn I'd fixed this issue somehow. There is a setting that is supposed to make it switch to the headset when you put it on. I unfortunately have been doing a lot of soldering near my system, so don't have room to set up and play VR games. It's been that way so long I haven't even played Half-Life: Alyx yet...

On the point of the audio, I have an eSwap Pro controller (basically a really nice PS4 controller) that I use on the PC a lot, Windows likes to change the speakers to the audio output on the controller which is really annoying. So every operating system still doesn't deal with multiple audio outputs well.
damarrin Oct 1, 2020
Linux totally switches audio output to my Dualshock 4 every time it's connected. This gets annoying very quick, too.
slaapliedje Oct 3, 2020
Quoting: damarrinLinux totally switches audio output to my Dualshock 4 every time it's connected. This gets annoying very quick, too.
This is what we get for everyone whining that Linux wasn't enough like Windows :P
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.