Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Steam Controller Got Discontinued
mao_dze_dun Nov 27, 2019
According to The Verge the SC will be no more:

https://www.theverge.com/good-deals/2019/11/26/20984123/valve-steam-controller-discontinued-sale-price

Really saddens me - the best controller ever made and Valve are pulling the plug. There is absolutely no alternative to it and with it being a very niche product I'd be shocked if we ever get one. I bough mine when they were still in pre-order. Would have bought another one, had I known that Valve are retiring it, but it is what it is...
on_en_a_gros Nov 27, 2019
It seems that few more are available every hour as said in this steam forum. I was able to put one in my cart but wasn't able to finalize my purchase, going to try again the next hour. Hope that some of you guys will be more lucky than me.
stud68 Nov 27, 2019
Missed out on the 4 quid one but thankfully already own 2 pads already. Phew.
damarrin Nov 27, 2019
I appreciate Valve's effort and vision with the SC, but it really is inferior to dual-stick ones. And the D-Pad is just horrible. So, I'm not going to shed any tears.
Xpander Nov 27, 2019
For me its the best controller ever made. Luckily i have 2 of those already. I never liked Playstation or Xbox ones, nor the logitech one, they all make my hands hurt after like 30 min of playing. Steam Controller doesn't and it has lots of configuration options + its a bonus that you can use it as a mouse easily. In my book the best controller i ever touched. Sad that they don't make anymore of those, but hopefully they will bring the second generation one some day
flipper Nov 28, 2019
At first I hated the SC, overwhelmed with its possibilities. Now I can't imagine playing without it.
Too bad one of the buttons failed on the wingpad, which tempered my game mood.
Ordered a new one yesterday, so I got myself an early end of the year present.

Still crossing my fingers for a v2.
damarrin Nov 28, 2019
Quoting: Patola
Quoting: damarrinI appreciate Valve's effort and vision with the SC, but it really is inferior to dual-stick ones. And the D-Pad is just horrible. So, I'm not going to shed any tears.
It's not because it is not in the same category. It can do much more than a simple dual-stick gamepad, is fit for many more genres, and what you call D-Pad is actually a flexible touchpad that can be programmed to do anything.

That is all true, and if you can’t use a mouse and keyboard it’s a better alternative. It is, however, not very good as a pad.
dubigrasu Nov 28, 2019
Quoting: damarrin
Quoting: Patola
Quoting: damarrinI appreciate Valve's effort and vision with the SC, but it really is inferior to dual-stick ones. And the D-Pad is just horrible. So, I'm not going to shed any tears.
It's not because it is not in the same category. It can do much more than a simple dual-stick gamepad, is fit for many more genres, and what you call D-Pad is actually a flexible touchpad that can be programmed to do anything.

That is all true, and if you can’t use a mouse and keyboard it’s a better alternative. It is, however, not very good as a pad.
What do you mean "not best as a pad"...then which one is the best?
dubigrasu Dec 2, 2019
Ah, I see. (for some reason I thought he's talking about the right pad)
Well, is true that this is maybe the most common complain about SC, namely its D-Pad is not very good.
I'm not very affected by this, but rings true.

Would be nice (maybe) if the SC would come with some accessories, in this case a D-Pad shape that you can snap in place for those needing it.

Last edited by dubigrasu on 2 December 2019 at 5:14 am UTC
namiko Dec 2, 2019
I sincerely hope they'll do a v2 instead of dropping it. It was hard enough to get them in Canada as-is. :(

The D-pad is one of the best parts, it didn't really even need a "click" function. Don't remember what console company made "click-in" a function for controller joysticks first (Xbox IIRC?), but it's a terrible thing for anyone with RSI, or anyone trying to avoid it. At least it's there for proper compatibility's sake for other games, I suppose... doesn't matter about the shape being different, traditional D-pads are a bit hard on fingers anyways. (The Wiimote's D-pad isn't bad, but Metroid: Other M is kind of painful to play for too long.)

I'd buy another Steam Controller just in case, but would it be worth it? Last I checked Steam didn't accept online Steam Controller orders from Canada... and we already have four, but OTOH they also see heavy use and might break someday so having a spare would be good... gah! :S:

Last edited by namiko on 2 December 2019 at 2:19 pm UTC
Maath Dec 2, 2019
I just found out about this and I am disappointed that I never got one of these controllers. Having grown up with consoles and arcades, before PC gaming got big, I haven't enjoyed gaming with keyboard and mouse as much as with other input devices. I like to be able to recline and view a large screen while gaming. Without a special chair or some kind of device to hold the keyboard and mouse, I can't see how that is possible. Probably such a thing exists, but it doesn't seem too common.

I think it is funny the comments the PC master race folks make about the superiority of their platform of choice. I can understand the fundamental claim that the PC is versatile, but without a controller such as the this I think couch gaming becomes much more difficult.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.