Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
  Go to:
Steam Controller Got Discontinued
Patola commented on 2 December 2019 at 2:07 am UTC

dubigrasu
damarrinThat is all true, and if you can’t use a mouse and keyboard it’s a better alternative. It is, however, not very good as a pad.
What do you mean "not best as a pad"...then which one is the best?
I think I got what he meant. The left touchpad is usually programmed to be a D-Pad, but it doesn't feel the same, and it seems less intuitive than a "real" D-Pad which isn't even in the shape of a disc. However... I was able to kind of improve that in sc-controller by programming the left touchpad to have feedback enabled when pressed and also by decreasing its diagonal range to 1°.

dubigrasu commented on 2 December 2019 at 3:36 am UTC

Ah, I see. (for some reason I thought he's talking about the right pad)
Well, is true that this is maybe the most common complain about SC, namely its D-Pad is not very good.
I'm not very affected by this, but rings true.

Would be nice (maybe) if the SC would come with some accessories, in this case a D-Pad shape that you can snap in place for those needing it.

Last edited by dubigrasu on 2 December 2019 at 5:14 am UTC

namiko commented on 2 December 2019 at 2:16 pm UTC

I sincerely hope they'll do a v2 instead of dropping it. It was hard enough to get them in Canada as-is.

The D-pad is one of the best parts, it didn't really even need a "click" function. Don't remember what console company made "click-in" a function for controller joysticks first (Xbox IIRC?), but it's a terrible thing for anyone with RSI, or anyone trying to avoid it. At least it's there for proper compatibility's sake for other games, I suppose... doesn't matter about the shape being different, traditional D-pads are a bit hard on fingers anyways. (The Wiimote's D-pad isn't bad, but Metroid: Other M is kind of painful to play for too long.)

I'd buy another Steam Controller just in case, but would it be worth it? Last I checked Steam didn't accept online Steam Controller orders from Canada... and we already have four, but OTOH they also see heavy use and might break someday so having a spare would be good... gah!

Last edited by namiko on 2 December 2019 at 2:19 pm UTC

Maath commented on 2 December 2019 at 3:51 pm UTC

I just found out about this and I am disappointed that I never got one of these controllers. Having grown up with consoles and arcades, before PC gaming got big, I haven't enjoyed gaming with keyboard and mouse as much as with other input devices. I like to be able to recline and view a large screen while gaming. Without a special chair or some kind of device to hold the keyboard and mouse, I can't see how that is possible. Probably such a thing exists, but it doesn't seem too common.

I think it is funny the comments the PC master race folks make about the superiority of their platform of choice. I can understand the fundamental claim that the PC is versatile, but without a controller such as the this I think couch gaming becomes much more difficult.

Go to:

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
None currently, submit yours here!
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts