Mafia 3 borked with default proton, GE-4.19-1 works OK
Koopacabras Dec 13, 2019
I've been trying this day to figure out what was wrong with Mafia 3, because some users report that's working OK for them and some say that it's unplayable because of bad performance, even in really high end hardware. Don't know if the problem is the dxvk version but for me with GE-4.19-1 works really well, I get about 40ish frames (stable), (which is OK, is what I get in very demanding proton games anyway)... with Proton 4.11-9 from steam it's unplayable, frames will drop hard to below 10fps. Haven't tried other versions though, I suppose that surely it works with other GE version, but I'm not sure if it's dxvk regressing or wine getting better with newer versions.

Also Full screen doesn't work with this version and also you need to rename mafia3.exe to launcher.exe, but at least it looks playable. I think, I'm gonna play a bit more, because I'm running the free demo now, so I can know for sure if the game runs fine in order to buy it. Played 1 hour for now I haven't found any game breaking bugs.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 13 December 2019 at 7:47 am UTC
Xpander Dec 13, 2019
lol, sorry it doesn't help you, but you are not missing much if you can't play this "game". This even isn't game, its, one of the worst "games" of recent years, dumb AI, X-ray vision, broken mechanics, glitching through enemies, random spawwning, blind enemies, flying into air etc etc.... so yeah :(
Koopacabras Dec 13, 2019
Quoting: Xpanderlol, sorry it doesn't help you, but you are not missing much if you can't play this "game". This even isn't game, its, one of the worst "games" of recent years, dumb AI, X-ray vision, broken mechanics, glitching through enemies, random spawwning, blind enemies, flying into air etc etc.... so yeah :(

yeah I know it has tons of bugs, youtubers have made hundreds of videos like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEz_GQCZq6U

still for a couple of bucks on sale I think is not bad for passing the time, most likely I would buy it on sale for 3 usd maybe?
Koopacabras Dec 13, 2019
NPC , enemies and objects behaving oddly... so what. 90% of the games out there have bugs on NPC's, enemies or objects, just that in this game they behave weirder . Played 2 hours didn't find any of those.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.