Join us on our own very special Reddit: /r/Linuxers
Tips on build a somewhat gaming rig at max +/- 8000 NOK (~900 USD)
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Xpander 26 January 2020 at 2:18 pm UTC

ValckThe only thing I find out of place is the PSU; 850W seems a bit over the top.

Probably nothing to be overly concerned about, but PSUs are usually most efficient when they are under about 50-75% of rated load, and fall off on either side of that.

PSUs these days don't fall off with the efficiency below 50% usage. This is the end of 90s and early 2000 where PSUs had that. Technology has changed. 850W might be a bit overkill indeed, but more headroom is always nice.

great video about PSUs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ_VV3UjEBY

Duck Hunt-Pr0 19 February 2020 at 9:17 pm UTC

[quote=Xpander]

ValckThe only thing I find out of place is the PSU; 850W seems a bit over the top.

850W might be a bit overkill indeed, but more headroom is always nice.

Indeed. I'm somewhat of a hardware hoarder and an archivist to boot lol. So it's not very unusual for me to, over time, fill every harddrive bay there is in a tower with various old-ass ticking shit IDE (hard)drives ..

And i've come to realize over the years that, a strained PSU running overheated rapidly becomes a sad PSUh-uh

Come to think of it, i believe the number one failing part for me have always been PSU's, (followed by the odd leaking ramstick a few times, next to burnt out/mem leaking display card)

Last edited by Duck Hunt-Pr0 on 19 February 2020 at 9:36 pm UTC

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Turn Around: „Blackguards“ (Wine)
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts