game recommendations
dvd Dec 24, 2019
Well, the title says it all, are there any games you would recommend? Could be either released game or something you are looking forward to.

I personally had a great time with CRPGs the last few years, playing Pillars I-II, Wasteland 2, Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Shadowrun returns. I also had a great time with XCOM: EU and XCOM2 (although i only have the base game).

I liked the new Hitman, having been a fan of the series for a long time, but i must say i do not like the DLC creep in the second episode. (even though i understand it was probably needed after they parted ways with their publisher)

I also had a great time with the 2013 and 2015 Tomb Raider, probably the best experience i had with a "mainstream appeal" kind of game in a very long time. Now that the newest episode is out thanks to Feral, i might pick that one up too next year.

The game i'm waiting for the most is probably "A year of rain" at the moment, i hope the linux version of that arrives soon.
TobyGornow Dec 24, 2019
Witcher 3, in my opinion, is the best RPG ever made, try it and see if it clicks with you. I installed it just to test my new GPU and now I'm 90+ hours in.

Else, I would recommend Nier Automata, great from the start to the end and beyond.

Opus Magnum, you didn't mention puzzle games but why not since it's so damn good and addictive.

And in no particular order : Dark souls, Fallout 1 & 2 ( the only two Crpg I liked ), Valkyria Chronicles, Grimrock 1 & 2, and many more...

Finally Xenogears because I had to name it since it's the best Jrpg ever made on this planet ;)
Rooster Dec 24, 2019
Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition is great fun, especially if you play it with a friend.

I would also recommend you Mount and Blade: Warband. It's and RPG with pretty skill based combat and lots of strategy elements. Actually saying that it is a strategy with 3-th person combat would be even more appropriate.

Last edited by Rooster on 24 December 2019 at 5:49 pm UTC
razing32 Dec 25, 2019
Had some fun with Greedfall
Based on your preference check out ATOM RPG and Underrail
Action game wise , try Brutal Legend for a bit of stupid over the top fun.
If youlike horror try Darkwood
Lastly , i have to plug in Enderal. It's afree "mod" for Skyirm , but it is a mod in the sense they build a whole game with the assets.(new continent , good story , good companions the works)
dvd Dec 25, 2019
Quoting: razing32Had some fun with Greedfall
Lastly , i have to plug in Enderal. It's afree "mod" for Skyirm , but it is a mod in the sense they build a whole game with the assets.(new continent , good story , good companions the works)

Yeah, Brütal Legend is really fun!

I've had mixed experiences with ATOM RPG, it may not be a game i would recommend for someone not very much into that genre. Even after the updates, it still feels half-finished and rushed, especially with the content from the "death tunnel" onwards. It has some good ideas, although that's mainly the dead city update stuff, with the exception of the one quest where you rescue Lenin. I also wasn't a big fan of how they handled the combat: you cannot really tell where cover begins and ends, which is kind of a major thing in a game where an enemy can take your character out with a lucky burst from an RPK.

I would try out most of the others too, especially the Witcher 3, since they had really good writing in the Witcher 2 as well imo, but i will probably look for something that doesn't need wine. It still doesn't run half of my library, and it is basically a pain to mod any bethesda game. Last time i tried (about 6 months ago), i wasted a good part of 2 weeks of modding FNV (and retrying it) with no avail, even as i went the extra mile and ran all the tools in a virtual machine. It's just too locked in to the windows world unfortunately.
Koopacabras Dec 25, 2019
Quoting: dvdI personally had a great time with CRPGs the last few years, playing Pillars I-II, Wasteland 2, Pathfinder: Kingmaker and Shadowrun returns. I also had a great time with XCOM: EU and XCOM2 (although i only have the base game).

you should look into Mutant year zero it's a windows game but it works out of the box with proton. It's not a superb game but it's quite ok and it's kinda similar some of those mentioned; cyberpunk, rpg (lite) with turn based combat. It really stands though for being quite original so it's quite refreshing to play.
And of course all the complete saga of ShadowRun is excellent, even though it usually can be found rather cheap, for me it's a top notch game because it has a lot of replaybility, cheap doesn't mean inferior quality sometimes with games.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 25 December 2019 at 10:09 am UTC
razing32 Dec 26, 2019
Quoting: dvd
Quoting: razing32Had some fun with Greedfall

Yeah, Brütal Legend is really fun!

I've had mixed experiences with ATOM RPG, it may not be a game i would recommend for someone not very much into that genre. Even after the updates, it still feels half-finished and rushed, especially with the content from the "death tunnel" onwards. It has some good ideas, although that's mainly the dead city update stuff, with the exception of the one quest where you rescue Lenin. I also wasn't a big fan of how they handled the combat: you cannot really tell where cover begins and ends, which is kind of a major thing in a game where an enemy can take your character out with a lucky burst from an RPK.

I would try out most of the others too, especially the Witcher 3, since they had really good writing in the Witcher 2 as well imo, but i will probably look for something that doesn't need wine. It still doesn't run half of my library, and it is basically a pain to mod any bethesda game. Last time i tried (about 6 months ago), i wasted a good part of 2 weeks of modding FNV (and retrying it) with no avail, even as i went the extra mile and ran all the tools in a virtual machine. It's just too locked in to the windows world unfortunately.

OpenMW works well with mods . Not sure about how proton handles Skyriym or Oblivion or other Betheda games.
I recall Fallout New Vegas working fine with Wine a few years back.
There are some decent RPGs on Linux native like Pillars of Eternity , Tower of Time , Pathfinder , but they are not the action RPG style game.
Maybe Deus EX could scratch the itch (not sure if it was Human Revolution or Mankind Divided)
Julius Jan 2, 2020
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is a bit short but looks spectacular and runs out of the box with Proton.

Furi is also great fun and works flawlessly with Proton.

Natively I have been playing Iron Marines lately. Fun little RTS.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.