Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Raspberry Pi 4 for replacing Steam Link?
slaapliedje Jan 21, 2020
So I know there is now a new streaming app specifically for Raspberry Pi, but the questions I have are;
1) Does it work on the 4?
2) Will it work better if I have 4k screens (on both the Linux desktop box, and my TV)?
3) Is it more stable connection wise than say the Steam Link?

Now I know the Steam Link for some reason only has a 100MB ethernet Jack, and really, the wifi is faster. But that doesn't help when the Wifi connection is not great due to interference from so many other things. I actually ended up getting a switch for plugging in all the things in my bedroom because the Wifi has always been sketchy there.

But I tried my Steam Link last night for the first time since I upgraded my desktop monitors to 4k, and it filled with all sorts of issues (though surprisingly had an update install!) But there were issues with trying to smash 4k resolution into whatever the Link can push, plus issues with it only covering a quarter of the screen, even though I changed the desktop to 1920x1080.

So was thinking I should replace the Link with a RPi 4. Just wondering if anyone has tested that out yet.
slaapliedje Jan 21, 2020
Yeah, I for sure was going to use Ethernet.
The ratio/resolution thing always seems to be an issue. I also have issues with Big Picture mode always going to my secondary monitor, so I end up turning that monitor off.
catbox_fugue Feb 25, 2020
ive tested the RPI4, just not with steamlink

i used the default raspbian install and then heavily modified it

the RPI4 will get very hot, i added an aftermarket cooler to keep the temps very low

RPI4 is not "extremely fast" comparable to an atom 1.6ghz x86 dual core....

1gpbs ethernet and usb3.0 are also somewhat limited, not realistically full rated speeds

for ~~$100-120 you can freely enjoy testing a rpi4 for various things
just remembering how limited you are because it is an arm architecture.

as for 4K compatibility, there are some issues with 4k @60hz
i would recommend sticking to 1080p60 or even 1080p30
especially dual monitors.
more reading required (i only use 1 monitor at 1080p60)

Last edited by catbox_fugue on 25 February 2020 at 5:10 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.