Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
GTA V Freezing? MacBook Air
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Neo Feb 13, 2020
Quoting: DefaultX-odDid you tried valve's fsync patch?
I have not tried that. I will do some research into it.

[quote=Xpander]
Quoting: ageresthe poster doesnt even give info how much hes system is being used while in the game. GPU usage, CPU usage, RAM usage, temps etc

I have not had a chance yet I will post in a few hours.
Thanks for the help everyone!
AnaPayne Dec 16, 2021
I see... I don't have Erişim installed... will that help? What software would be good to monitor thermostats? Thanks!

Last edited by AnaPayne on 17 December 2021 at 7:10 am UTC
metalinux Dec 27, 2021
Quoting: DefaultX-od
Quoting: NeoCool, thanks everyone... Does the fact that it can run at 24-30 FPS sometimes suggest that it might not be a hardware problem?

Did you tried valve's fsync patch?
For me it helped with Ben and Ed blood party. The game was freezing just like yours, and I installed valve's kernel, and it stoped. Right now i'm on xanmod kernel(don't know if fsync is enabled by default).
I waneted to try GTA V on my laptop to see if there are any hags on my laptop, but when I saw 90GB download, I stoped..

My laptop config:

CPU: Intel Core i3-7130 2.70GHz x4

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 620

RAM: 3,7 GIB

@Neo, I would definitely give this a try. Regarding fsync, as of 2021/12/21, Valve has improved the fsync code in Proton Experimental, so you could try running the game via Proton Experimental.

Liam posted here on the changes to Proton Experimental and wrote how to enable it:

Quote1. Search for Proton Experimental and install if not already.
2. Right click any game on Steam and go to Properties.
3. Select the Compatibility menu on the right side.
4. Ensure the "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool" is ticked.
5. From the dropdown box that appears select Proton Experimental.

I hope that Proton Experimental helps and please let us know if there are any improvements.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.