Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Possible German law requiring an ID for steam
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Dedale 16 Feb

I am a bit worried by this news: https://www.computerbase.de/2020-02/ueberwachungspaket-identifikationspflicht-gamer-plattformen/

It is in German but Google Translate is good enough. Apparently, two landers would want to force game platforms to get a proof of identity from their users. I wonder if such kind of laws can devolve into an EU wide law. Also, if such is the case, what would be the options to circumvent such laws.

Access tu steam only trough paying VPN ? That would be a bit expensive. What happens if you renounce to use your steam account for a long while and then try to reactivate it ? For example because you would have settled outside the EU.

Last edited by Dedale on 16 February 2020 at 11:05 pm UTC

The_Aquabat 16 Feb

DedaleAccess tu steam only trough paying VPN ? That would be a bit expensive. What happens if you renounce to use your steam account for a long while and then try to reactivate it ? For example because you would have settled outside the EU.

I didn't read the article but I always use a VPN on Steam as far as I know as long you are are not faking the country where you live, they don't care. At worst case you could receive a warning or something but you won't get suspended. And I only pay 2usd per month, only one location because it's all that I need.

Last edited by The_Aquabat on 16 February 2020 at 11:50 pm UTC

Dedale 17 Feb

The point of the VPN here would be to fake the country where you live.

The_Aquabat 17 Feb

DedaleThe point of the VPN here would be to fake the country where you live.

I guess steam divides EU in regions, as long as you don't fake your region it should be ok. (sorry I only took a quick look of the article I thought that only in a german province that thing will take effect).
As I said the worst thing that could happen is that you receive a warning, you will only get suspended if you continue doing that after the warnings.

Last edited by The_Aquabat on 17 February 2020 at 11:07 am UTC

The_Aquabat 17 Feb

I also have another steam brasilian account, that I made with a VPN, that's considered in the same region and never received a warning. I made it because at some point some games were cheaper in Brasil but not that much cheaper, as long as the economic advantage your are getting is less than 10% or 20% (can't remember now where I read that because I only did that once a long time ago) they don't care. If you are getting a substantial economic benefit then yes that will sound their alarms.

Pretty sure they know when you access steam through a VPN, so VPN's are not banned, what sounds their alarms is if you fake your country with the purpose of getting a substantial economic benefit. If the benefit you get is small they don't care. Or if you fake your country from a different region, because taxing across different regions could be different and that causes regulation problems for them.

take what I say with a grain of salt because technically faking your country yes it's against their ToS. But imho is highly unlikely that you will get a suspension, if you do what I say.

I don't know what could happen if the law is applied in all the EU, I don't live in the EU. My guess is that steam would not like users trying to circumvent that law, steam always tries to comply every law in every country.

Last edited by The_Aquabat on 17 February 2020 at 12:19 pm UTC

denyasis 19 Feb

Interesting. My German is very poor and Google translate isn't working for me, so a lot of it is over my head. I seem to understand they want ID's or personal info to prevent some sort of criminal behavior? What sort of behavior? I can't understand the rest to tell what sort of crimes?

On one hand I can see having this information being good. For example, a physical address to send a notice to in the event of a compromised account (say a stolen phone, so TFA and email communication are compromised), or flagging accounts used in fraudulent activities (stolen payment credentials), or limiting access of predators to vulnerable populations.

On the other hand, there are a lot of issues. Who owns the info? How is it protected? What are the chances of abuse by Valve, or others?

I'm sorry if a lot of this is covered in the article, it's several levels above my comprehension.

The_Aquabat 19 Feb

denyasisInteresting. My German is very poor and Google translate isn't working for me, so a lot of it is over my head. I seem to understand they want ID's or personal info to prevent some sort of criminal behavior? What sort of behavior? I can't understand the rest to tell what sort of crimes?

apparently hate speech.

Last edited by The_Aquabat on 19 February 2020 at 7:04 pm UTC

razing32 19 Feb

The_Aquabat
denyasisInteresting. My German is very poor and Google translate isn't working for me, so a lot of it is over my head. I seem to understand they want ID's or personal info to prevent some sort of criminal behavior? What sort of behavior? I can't understand the rest to tell what sort of crimes?

apparently hate speech.

Uhm.
They want to monitor steam for hate speech ?
At how much (underage)gamers trash talk that might be pointless.

denyasis 23 Feb

Thanks! I didn't think of hate speech as a possibility, but I guess it makes sense. We've already had extremist activity on other gaming platforms (like discord), so I can see why Germany might be interested.

orochi_kyo 10 Mar

razing32
The_Aquabat

apparently hate speech.

Uhm.
They want to monitor steam for hate speech ?
At how much (underage)gamers trash talk that might be pointless.

If a minority keeps trash talking every single day, more people will join the trash talk, then in some years, you will have a majority doing trash talk until this trash talk will become an "evident reality" for many.

So I understand the german government by not taking hate speech lightly.

Hate speech put a hater in the presidency of the most powerful country.

Holy crap.. Germany going increasingly nuts like the UK and Sweden, or what?

How come something as a definition of "Hate Speech" seems such a fidgety, malleable and variable thing?

How, other than purely by political and ideological agendas being put towards it's definition?

Say me that, please.. How..?

Because i would, naturally, be ever increasingly more "obnoxious", "rude", "toxic", "loud", "offensive", "radical", "blasphemous" and "hateful" in my speech; The more i'm being told, without any clear and reasonable grounds offered, not to do so.

Because that is a right i will exercise as i see fit, provided to me by [my country's constitution](https://lovdata.no/lov/1814-05-17-nn/§100), and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights; Until the day i breathe dirt again, and cows hopefully walk around shitting on what was once my face.

Quote Source: https://archive.org/details/youtube-3lfG54kIOuc

Last edited by Duck Hunt-Pr0 on 12 March 2020 at 6:35 pm UTC

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...