Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Direct Purchase from Publisher/Developer
JJNova Feb 23, 2020
Hey folks,

I'm a big proponent of ownership and privacy so refrain from purchasing on the Steam store. Unfortunately, GoG has really slowed down in regards to securing linux releases. I know there are other sites, but they tend to fulfill most of their library purchases with Steam Keys.

That being said, is anyone aware of publishers or developers that allow you to make purchases directly from their website? It used to be a fairly popular way to get games in the past, but online marketplaces have changed that.
denyasis Feb 23, 2020
I guess it depends on the game. I've purchased quite a few through their website to include (off the top of my head):

Penumbra
Star Sector
Rimworld
Factorio

I think Feral lets you purchase direct, or they used to. They would have a nice collection. I don't buy much any more due to finances and less free time, so I'm not up on the latest and greatest
damarrin Feb 23, 2020
Feral sell you a Steam key. Humble sometimes have a drm free version of the game, which at least in my experience is usually just a very bare bones tar.gz without an installer, otherwise it’s a Steam key again.
Liam Dawe Feb 24, 2020
Quoting: JJNovaThat being said, is anyone aware of publishers or developers that allow you to make purchases directly from their website? It used to be a fairly popular way to get games in the past, but online marketplaces have changed that.
One of the main reasons for the big change there is fraud, there's a lot of it and direct purchases have the developer often deal with it personally. Stores help with that, since they handle the payments. If you wish for more drm-free stuff, try taking more of a look at itch.io.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 24 February 2020 at 11:48 am UTC
Pangaea Feb 24, 2020
Quoting: damarrinFeral sell you a Steam key. Humble sometimes have a drm free version of the game, which at least in my experience is usually just a very bare bones tar.gz without an installer, otherwise it’s a Steam key again.

This is why I stopped buying from Humble Bundle (and of course never have from Steam). They used to be great, but that must be at least 3-4 years ago now.

RimWorld is already mentioned, and got an expansion today, and you can buy both the main game and the expansion directly form them. That is what I did, as it both gives them more money and I receive it DRM Free. Win-Win :)

It is unfortunately not as common as it once was, but when it is I always prefer to purchase directly. Provided it's not weighed down by DRM of course, which independent games in general are not.
JJNova Feb 26, 2020
Quoting: PangaeaRimWorld is already mentioned, and got an expansion today, and you can buy both the main game and the expansion directly form them. That is what I did, as it both gives them more money and I receive it DRM Free. Win-Win :)

Rimworld looks a LOT like Prison Architect. I poured quite a few hours into Prison Architects multiple beta builds, and then when the game was fully released I stopped playing it. heh. That's the problem with early access.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.