You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Planning to get an AMD GPU - Is my system ready for it?
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
Avehicle7887 19 March 2020 at 10:53 pm UTC

The_Aquabat
Avehicle7887If you wish I can still try to provide a Basemark/Unigine benchmark. The tests would be based on Mesa 20.0.1 + Kernel 5.5.10

yes please I would like to see the results of a UNigine Superposition Benchmark at 1080p extreme preset.

For some reason I can't get Superposition to run (complains about xcb error in terminal), ironically though the older Heaven benchmark works just fine.

Here's what I got (Ignore the GPU Section, the program doesn't detect it properly but the numbers seem to be correct compared against my RTX 2060S):

PS: Working on that Basemark bench.

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 19 March 2020 at 10:53 pm UTC

The_Aquabat 20 March 2020 at 11:30 am UTC

thanks! 👍🏻

Avehicle7887 25 March 2020 at 10:41 pm UTC

I moved the GPU to my old gaming rig which runs an i5-4590, since this is slightly faster than the G4560 it was being tested on. I've also decided to run some 3840x1080 tests which you'll find below.

Personal Thoughts (Mini Review):

So after almost 2 weeks with this card, I can say I'm very happy for the price I paid (more on this later). The performance is more or less equal to the older AMD RX 580 and Nvidia GTX 1060, which is what I expected from the start. As far as stability goes, I haven't had any issues (Latest Linux firmware, libdrm 2.4.100, Kernel 5.5.x, Mesa 20.0.x, LLVM 9/10, ACO enabled).

To put this card's performance in perspective with modern competition, it sits right behind the slightly more expensive Nvidia GTX 1660 Super model. Going back to the price, I paid 240 euro to import this from the U.S (Amazon), as it's not available locally - Malta.

If you're looking for a solid 1080p card with Open Source support this is a fine choice, furthermore if you find an RX 580 for a cheaper price and don't care about power consumption, that's an even better choice as performance is roughly the same between the two.

Ok off to the screenshots:

Witcher 3

Shadow Warrior 2

Wolfenstein - The New Order (OpenGL)

Testbench

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 25 March 2020 at 11:56 pm UTC

Shmerl 25 March 2020 at 10:59 pm UTC

Hm, familiar area. Is it Rannvaig?

The_Aquabat 7 April 2020 at 2:05 am UTC

QuoteSo after almost 2 weeks with this card, I can say I'm very happy for the price I paid (more on this later). The performance is more or less equal to the older AMD RX 580 and Nvidia GTX 1060,

from the phoronix benchmarks I looked ... it seems that is has the performance of the rx 590. I don't know I have a rx 570 Nitro +, maybe the fastest rx 570, for me, it would be about 30% or 20% of improvement over my 570 but still I don't know if it is worth it. with this whole pandemia thing I got short on cash, I was aiming at a 5600 xt at least, but we are having some inflation over imported goods, so I don't know if in a couple of months I would be able to afford it. The other alternative is buy a second hand vega 56, I know it's a powerhouse, but it has roughly the same performance of 5600 xt (maybe a tad slower).

Last edited by The_Aquabat on 7 April 2020 at 4:13 am UTC

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts