Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Same investor that owns Suse Linux wants to fire Jack Dorsey from twitter.
Koopacabras Mar 4, 2020
https://nypost.com/2020/03/02/elliott-management-reportedly-wants-to-oust-twitter-ceo-jack-dorsey/

So there's the reason why I stopped using opensuse... first take control of twitter, opensuse is next, fire devs and defund the company to sell it at higher price, classic move from this Singer.

If you are using Opensuse I really recommend to switch to another distro.

if you don't know about Elliot Group here's an article, they own Suse Linux

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/12/elliott-wants-micro-focus-hpe-software-and-suse-owner-to-go-private.html

Last edited by Koopacabras on 4 March 2020 at 2:05 am UTC
LinuxGamesTV Mar 4, 2020
Quoting: The_Aquabat...
So there's the reason why I stopped using opensuse...

That's your choice.

first take control of twitter, opensuse is next, ...

Oh no. Don't say this again You know openSUSE is a Community Project and don't owned by the SUSE G.m.b.H / SUSE LLC.
The owner are the Community and the new founded openSUSE Foundation.

If you are using Opensuse I really recommend to switch to another distro.

Here the same: don't do it again. :P Your choice is your choice, my choice is my choice and you don't have to say what i have to use.

Edit: Typo

Last edited by LinuxGamesTV on 4 March 2020 at 6:13 am UTC
Koopacabras Mar 4, 2020
you don't really understand who this Paul Singer really is. you do what you like.
Iggi Mar 4, 2020
Quoting: The_Aquabathttps://nypost.com/2020/03/02/elliott-management-reportedly-wants-to-oust-twitter-ceo-jack-dorsey/

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/12/elliott-wants-micro-focus-hpe-software-and-suse-owner-to-go-private.html
I think you got this article totally wrong: SUSE is owned by EQT, a pension fund, which is a completely different company from Singer's Elliott Management company.

Elliott, however, does hold MicroFocus shares, the previous owner of SUSE. It was basically his suggestion to sell SUSE - that's how EQT was able to buy SUSE at all. And just saying: This was a very good decision for SUSE, especially as the MicroFocus and the SUSE business didn't really overlap.

The openSUSE Foundation is not yet founded, by the way ;-) But the foundation will guarantee the independence of the openSUSE distribution - just in case a new evil owner should forbid the SUSE employees to contribute to openSUSE when EQT will sell SUSE in a few years (they are a pension fund after all, so they have to redeem the money some time).
Koopacabras Mar 4, 2020
ah OK I see was missing pieces of the puzzle so Singer indirectly did own Suse Linux, and he did actually suggested to sell, that did happen
https://techcrunch.com/2018/07/02/micro-focus-sells-suse-for-2-5b/

sorry my mistake I don't want to spread fake news.
Koopacabras Mar 4, 2020
sorry it's just that, that guy Singer did a lot of damage to my country (Argentina) he bought shares at fire sale price and he started to seize everything. maybe this time things had a happy ending . here's an example of what Singer does

https://qz.com/1001650/hedge-fund-billionaire-paul-singers-ruthless-strategies-include-bullying-ceos-suing-governments-and-seizing-their-navys-ships/
orochi_kyo Mar 10, 2020
Quoting: BdMdesigN
So there's the reason why I stopped using opensuse...

That's your choice.

For someone with such an attitude, it seems you take this quite personally.

Quoting: BdMdesigNHere the same: don't do it again. Your choice is your choice, my choice is my choice and you don't have to say what I have to use.

YOu can not also tell him what to do. He said, "I really recommend" while you said "Don't do it again", who sounded more assertive?

To OP, despite you could expect an open-mind community in Linux, you would be surprised by the fact that the "flavor" thing, you know the freedom of choosing what distro you like more, is actually a symptom of selfishness, so save you some headaches and I suggest you not suggesting these guys what distro they should be using, not even if there are "evil people" managing these distros.

Selfishness? You know we are a niche, still, the niche inside the niche, those guys who use something else but Ubuntu, want support from developers despite they aren't even a considerable percentage of the market share inside Linux. The worst thing is some of "these communities" doesn't even want to support things like flatpack or snap, just because they want to impose their own standard.

Good Luck.
Koopacabras Mar 12, 2020
well to clarify even further even though I do not use Opensuse anymore I have great respect for it. The build.opensuse.org system is really great, maybe the greatest opensource online automated-build environment. I'm sorry I take back what I said again, it was based on something false, but at the time when Singer did own SuSe (microfocus) it did scare me a bit.
OTOH yeah fragmentation is an issue, although I think the world is better with the diversity of distros we have... but sometimes I think there is too many.. like anyone know which is the total number of distros out there??
Maybe I was a little personal as well, sorry it was not my intention.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 12 March 2020 at 8:57 am UTC
Duck Hunt-Pr0 Mar 12, 2020
Twitter is a sore on the Internet
Cyba.Cowboy Apr 13, 2020
Quoting: Duck Hunt-Pr0Twitter is a sore on the Internet

Social networking is a sore on the Internet... Call me "old fashioned", but all those social networking websites bring out the very worst in people, whilst discouraging Real Life friendships and endorsing attention-seeking.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.