Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Elite: Dangerous
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
scaine Oct 11, 2020
Now that I'm back on Mint, I had to redo all this. I'm just here to say - holy shit installing dotnet472 takes AGES!! It's been running for about 20 minutes. You get so used to Linux installs taking like 30 seconds, then, out of the blue, you have to deal with how Windows installs things and it's just... urgh.

...and... it's done. Took nearly 40 minutes. Goddam. But it's working again, so that's something!

@Cybolic, I wonder if your protontricks is simply out of date? Since I've done two fresh installs, I've had to install it again from scratch, so maybe that's the difference?

From the https://github.com/Matoking/protontricks page, it says you do this to upgrade protontricks:
pipx upgrade protontricks

Worth a shot?

Last edited by scaine on 11 October 2020 at 12:21 pm UTC
1xok Oct 11, 2020
E:D runs very stable but I'm unhappy with the performance on my GTX 970. I also have the impression that a year ago it ran much better. It stutters noticeably when you fly near or inside large structures (space stations for example). You can actually switch off the AA right away with old Nvidia hardware. The edge flickering is not nice.

In the past the Steam Controller also worked very well. But for some time now it hasn't been working properly for me.

How does it work on AMD systems or with new Nvidia cards?
Cybolic Oct 11, 2020
Quoting: scaineNow that I'm back on Mint, I had to redo all this. I'm just here to say - holy shit installing dotnet472 takes AGES!! It's been running for about 20 minutes. You get so used to Linux installs taking like 30 seconds, then, out of the blue, you have to deal with how Windows installs things and it's just... urgh.

...and... it's done. Took nearly 40 minutes. Goddam. But it's working again, so that's something!

@Cybolic, I wonder if your protontricks is simply out of date? Since I've done two fresh installs, I've had to install it again from scratch, so maybe that's the difference?

From the https://github.com/Matoking/protontricks page, it says you do this to upgrade protontricks:
pipx upgrade protontricks

Worth a shot?

I'm on protontricks 1.4.2 using the Aur package, so that should already be the latest version; I think my system is just cursed :P
I think I'll wait until I've built my new system and then check again as I strongly suspect that there's some miscommunication happening with the Valve Index due to my ancient motherboard (it's from 2012). Installing dotnet can take up to two hours on this system as well - too much trouble right now.
Thanks for the suggestion though :)
Koopacabras Oct 11, 2020
I just saw a video of Jason Evangelho (he talked about gamingonlinux.com on Forbes) complaining exactly about this that he couldn't get this game to work. He was saying that things should be simpler and that protondb rating system is broken (the site is a great resource for looking into solutions but not so good for newcomers). He even bought a HOTAS. I think Liam is working on a new rating system that would be more newbie friendly.
1xok Oct 11, 2020
Quoting: The_AquabatI just saw a video of Jason Evangelho (he talked about gamingonlinux.com on Forbes) complaining exactly about this that he couldn't get this game to work.

I had the main problems with the Frontier Launcher and the registration process, which almost drove me crazy. There are also many Windows users who have problems with it. And incompatible Net environments are also a problem under Windows. Since about a year ago I've noticed that problems I'm having with Proton are also reported by Windows users. So I thought at first that Nier: Automata had problems under Proton until I realized that everything is much worse under Windows.

In the long run encapsulated environments such proton are indeed a good way to deal with this. But you need testers and developers who can create configurations that are adapted to the individual games.

By the way, the Steam Controller had a similar problem. The system would have worked much better if it hadn't been left to the community to create custom configurations for each game.

I hope Valve will learn from this and will invest more in the next try. Then Steam Machines could still be a great success. But for the time being there is still a lot of basic work to be done and Valve is on it.
Koopacabras Oct 13, 2020
Quoting: 1xokI had the main problems with the Frontier Launcher and the registration process, which almost drove me crazy.

yep I had the same problem registration sucks, the game was on sale and I just bought it.

Also with Proton GE 5.9 I get a black screen only with standard 5.0-9 proton works for me.

I don't know I try not to recommend games that need so many tweaks to get them running. I really only review steam play games that have zero issues. I wouldn't recommend this game broadly, it's just for savy users.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 13 October 2020 at 8:10 am UTC
scaine Oct 17, 2020
Hey @Cybolic, you still having issues with E:D?

I played a bit of Noita today on the new 5.13 proton, finished up, then went to run E:D - it's crashing on startup. Forced 5.09... same issue!

So killed the pfx folder, and re-ran protontricks 359320 -q dotnet472 win7 - but it failed quite early, maybe about a minute or two into the process. That's when I remembered this thread and your comment about kernel versions. Turns out, Mint runs 5.4.0-51 out of the box at the moment. And since I'd just re-installed Mint, I was still on that when E:D was working. But a couple of days ago, I downloaded and applied the mainline kernel 5.8.15-lowlatency. Related?

Well, despite a full remove/re-install of E:D on that later kernel, even when forcing the earlier Proton version, I couldn't get it working at all.

So I've gone back to kernel 5.4.0-51-generic... and while protontricks crashed early the first time I ran it, I realised that I was still on Proton 5.13. So I deleted the pfx directory again, re-ran E:D forced to Proton 5.09, wait for it to fail, and then ran Protontricks... and that script is now working. It's been running for around 15 minutes so far, so probably another 10 minutes or so, I'll know if this is the issue!

Fingers crossed. Bit of a pain if it is the kernel though, as I'd have to reboot every time I want to play E:D! But at least we'd know what's causing it to fail, which is something.

EDIT: Yep, I'm in. So kernel 5.4 with Proton 5.09.

Last edited by scaine on 17 October 2020 at 2:44 pm UTC
jens Oct 17, 2020
  • Supporter
You might give this a try for 5.13 for omitting the dotnet installation:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/150#issuecomment-709907404

It didn't worked for me because login isn't supported yet, but may be your setup fits.

PS: I remember that I initially just installed dotnet40 instead of dotnet472, thus just running `protontricks 359320 dotnet40 win7`. Is version 472 now a requirement?
scaine Oct 17, 2020
Quoting: jensYou might give this a try for 5.13 for omitting the dotnet installation:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/150#issuecomment-709907404

It didn't worked for me because login isn't supported yet, but may be your setup fits.

PS: I remember that I initially just installed dotnet40 instead of dotnet472, thus just running `protontricks 359320 dotnet40 win7`. Is version 472 now a requirement?

Now that it's working, I think I'm just going to leave it alone, Jens. However, yeah, it's great news that they're making headway into the .net libraries.

As for 472, I have no idea - I stole that command from Cybolic's reply early in this thread - it worked, so that's what I've been using! :)
Cybolic Oct 17, 2020
Quoting: scaineHey @Cybolic, you still having issues with E:D? [...]

Well, it runs in pancake mode on kernel 5.8.13 using Proton 5.13 (after going through a couple of reinstalls of Proton and the Steam Linux Runtime) but I haven't checked if it runs in VR or whether it will crash after a while. The current prefix was from a Proton 4.11 install with dotnet472. Will check and report back about VR.

UPDATE: VR is still a no-go for me, on Proton 5.13 as well; it still consistently crashes after the Frontier launch video.

Last edited by Cybolic on 17 October 2020 at 5:58 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.