Join us on our own very special Reddit: /r/Linuxers
Fighting the virus with our computers
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
The_Aquabat 18 Mar

QuoteTry the advanced view: it must be in your "Ver" menu. :)

aha Ok now the settings work! thanks!

Dunc 19 Mar

I've known about this project for years, but never really bothered much about it. However, stuck at home looking after my elderly mother, who has asthma and Parkinson's (and absolutely scared rigid that she catches the virus; it's strange, because I know that if I was on my own I'd probably be pretty blasé about it), at least I can feel that I'm doing something to help bring about a solution to all this.

The_Aquabat 19 Mar

Quoting: Duncstuck at home looking after my elderly mother, who has asthma and Parkinson's (and absolutely scared rigid that she catches the virus; it's strange, because I know that if I was on my own I'd probably be pretty blasé about it), at least I can feel that I'm doing something to help bring about a solution to all this.
I feel your suffering man my father has chronic Leukemia.

wvstolzing 19 Mar

I've been too stupid to properly set up BOINC in the past; so I went for Folding at Home, which is currently working -- though I'm not sure on what. I'm told it's "Project 14405", but there's no web page for it (https://apps.foldingathome.org/project?p=14405 returns 'project unspecified')

I'm also concerned about what damarrin has mentioned above. I'll leave this running 24/7 if it's going to help university researchers; but if I'm aiding someone's commercial interests, then no way.

Kithop 19 Mar

Quoting: damarrinThe fundamental problem with these things is that it's someone's patent and 1mil-dollar-per-pop drug you're using your computer and electricity for.

Not saying we shouldn't all pool in, but there's that to take into account as well.

Kind of - the papers are published and relatively generally available: link

It's a bit more like saying, 'well - Linux and BSD are open source, and they might be used to oppress people in China so they're bad'... they're just publishing research, which may or may not be used by U.S. big pharma or, say, government healthcare in Cuba, as far as I can tell. They're not necessarily in the business of the final implementation details, so to speak.

Salvatos 19 Mar

I mean shit, the fact that people make money off of medicine isn’t going to stop me from wanting a cure for cancer to be developed.

Last edited by Salvatos on 19 March 2020 at 4:32 pm UTC

wvstolzing 19 Mar

Quoting: SalvatosI mean shit, the fact that people make money off of medicine isn’t going to stop me from wanting a cure for cancer to be developed.

Sure, but then they won't get my processor time for free.

I mean, after all 'No Free Stuff' is the mantra of our age.

Anyway, here's the relevant bit from the page Kithop linked:
QuoteWho “owns” the results? What will happen to them?

Folding@home is run by an academic institution (specifically the Pande Group, at Stanford University’s Chemistry Department), which is a nonprofit institution dedicated to science research and education. We will not sell the data or make any money from it. Moreover, we will make the data available for others to use. In particular, the results from Folding@home will be made available on several levels. Most importantly, analysis of the simulations will be submitted to scientific journals for publication, and these journal articles will be posted on the web page after publication.

Following the publications of these scientific articles, we will make the raw data of the folding runs available to other researchers upon request. The data sets from some of our most prominent simulations are already publicly available. We’ve also striven to share our key technologies with other scientists, to assist their research as well.

Dedale 19 Mar

I haven't looked up but for BOINC it is roughly the same thing. And they mean it. Long ago, they kicked a project from BOINC, (AQUA) because they were having patents from the work of the volunteers.

So i do not worry and even if someone was going to make money from this i am happy to make a tiny contribution towards a solution.

Dunc 19 Mar

Quoting: The_Aquabat
Quoting: Duncstuck at home looking after my elderly mother, who has asthma and Parkinson's (and absolutely scared rigid that she catches the virus; it's strange, because I know that if I was on my own I'd probably be pretty blasé about it), at least I can feel that I'm doing something to help bring about a solution to all this.
I feel your suffering man my father has chronic Leukemia.
In a way, it's actually good to know that others are in the same boat. Stay safe, and let's hope we can all get through this unscathed.

The_Aquabat 19 Mar

in other news alibaba is providing free computer power for research

QuoteFree Access to Cloud Computing to Help Treat Coronavirus

Alibaba Cloud offers AI-powered computing platform and super computing cluster for free to power global research institutions to accelerate viral gene-sequencing, protein-screening and other research in treating or preventing the Coronavirus.

https://www.alibabacloud.com/campaign/fight-coronavirus-covid-19?&msctype=email&mscareaid=sg&mscsiteid=intl&mscmsgid=2310220031800089739&&spm=a2c4l.14154321.enc.3&#J_5148276730

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...