You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
HOTAS in wine
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Patola 25 Mar

Code goes deeper than I thought, but I was able to make it work after changing 4 files so far, still need to get the joystick test part in wine control to be sorted out, but I think I was able to effectively fix the problem. Will give pointers in this thread as I advance to submit the patch to the project.

damarrin 25 Mar

Good job!

tuubi 25 Mar

Nothing motivates like scratching your own itch. :)

sigz 25 Mar

I use a X52 under linux with wine (for DCS world). I use antimicroX to manage the controller, it detects all the axes, and I use it to convert some axis to key inputs (like the mouse cursor axis is not detected as an axis but I think it's not a wine issue while I have the same issue when trying the game on windows...)

I've not gone as far as you concerning the axis configurations on wine code.

Last edited by sigz on 25 March 2020 at 1:55 pm UTC

Patola 25 Mar

Quoting: sigzI use a X52 under linux with wine (for DCS world). I use antimicroX to manage the controller, it detects all the axes, and I use it to convert some axis to key inputs (like the mouse cursor axis is not detected as an axis but I think it's not a wine issue while I have the same issue when trying the game on windows...)
Yes, that was the same workaround I was using. However you wouldn't have a good translation of the analog axes to the game. Also, the game was crashing on me when I attempted that solution with a particular button (button 37, I think).

sigz 25 Mar

are you sure axis/button counting is a not a directX limitation ? I always heard directx was limited to 32 buttons and 8 axis, and btw on windows, without the drivers, you can't really use the whole hotas.

Last edited by sigz on 25 March 2020 at 2:52 pm UTC

Patola 25 Mar

Well, I tested my changed code and it worked, up to button 39. I am still streamlining the patch to send to wine maintainers though.

beniwtv 10 Aug

Hey, any news on the patch? I am running into the same problem with my Virpil Mongoost throttle, with 80 buttons

Patola 10 Aug

Sorry, I sort of underestimated the task. I have made a proton's wine fork so I could make builds of proton for other people, it's here but I haven't had much time to work on it, and wine's code is suffering a huge refactoring now, including in the input (and dinput) system, so I am also refraining from touching that part until it stabilizes.

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.