Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Flattr, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
./play.it, an easy way to install commercial games on GNU/Linux
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
serge 18 Apr

@vv221 if you want more exposure for your project, you should submit an article, i think a majority of visitors here don't look at this forum at all.

vv221 18 Apr

Quoting: sergeif you want more exposure for your project, you should submit an article

I didn’t know that anyone could submit an article, that’s really nice.
I think I might do that for our next bugfix release, that is planned to go live in a couple days (well, unless of course we find new bugs).

vv221 30 Apr

The link to the Ubuntu documentation has been updated, following a sneaky modification of the URL with no redirection.

vv221 10 May

./play.it 2.11.4 bugfix release

Hello World!

A new ./play.it release went live last night, and there was great rejoicing amongst all players using libre operating systems ;)
So let us see what this new 2.11.4 release brings with it…

Changelog

The modifications that this new version brings are published on the forge that is dedicated to ./play.it development, in release notes: 2.11.4 bugfix release

A copy follows:

• Throw an explicit error when trying to write a launcher for a missing binary
  • Use safer find | while read constructs in prefix functions
  • Drop avoidable spawning of subshell by organize_data
  • Drop avoidable spawning of subshell by move_icons_to
  • Ensure $PLAYIT_WORKDIR is always an absolute path
  • ArchLinux: Fix bugs in dependencies handling
  • Debian: Fix APT version detection with APT ≥ 2.0.0
  • Debian: Enforce correct permissions for packages metadata
  • Gentoo: Update download link for quickunpkg

Website update

Alongside this list of fixes, ./play.it website has been updated, the most important changes being the merge of the two domains www.dotslashplay.it and wiki.dotslashplay.it, as well as the addition of an English presentation of ./play.it.

This updated website, based on DokuWiki, is available in two languages:

In addition to this update to the software description, usage instructions have been reworked to make them less intimidating for newcomers. Here are examples served through archive.org that should make it easy to see the improvement:

This new template is still far from being applied for all supported games, but should be used by all future updates of the website.

Distributions documentation

Last noticeable improvement coming with this update, new documentation articles have been submitted to some distributions that provide a package to install ./play.it. These can be found on the following pages:

Whatʼs next?

2.11.4 version should (hopefully) be the last of the 2.11.x series, the next release being 2.12, an update that is coming with quite a lot of new features. For the most curious (or most impatient) amongst you, this new version is under preparation on our forge: WIP: 2.12 release

This 2.12 version is probably the one that has spent most time under development, with features that got developed as far back as November 2018!

Last edited by vv221 on 10 May 2020 at 9:45 pm UTC

Cyril 17 May

I tried a play.it script for the first time and I'm a bit confused/disappointed.
I used it to install Zeus: Master of Olympus with the French pack, and it works fine except the game doesn't save the resolution. I don't know exactly how it works but I can't find how to change it permanently.

I mean if I change the resolution to 1024x768 in-game it works, but every time I start the game I have to set it again.
I don't know if it's a real bug or if it's just me... but with normal Wine installation I don't have any issue.
Thanks in advance!

vv221 17 May

Quoting: CyrilI tried a play.it script for the first time and I'm a bit confused/disappointed.
It’s OK to be confused when something does not work as expected, reporting any unintuitive behaviour like you’re doing is the best thing to do in these cases ;)

Quoting: CyrilI used it to install Zeus: Master of Olympus with the French pack, and it works fine except the game doesn't save the resolution. I don't know exactly how it works but I can't find how to change it permanently.

I mean if I change the resolution to 1024x768 in-game it works, but every time I start the game I have to set it again.
I don't know if it's a real bug or if it's just me... but with normal Wine installation I don't have any issue.
From your description, it is probably a bug on ./play.it side. I opened an issue on our forge to make sure we investigate it soon: Zeus: Master of Olympus — Resolution setting is not persistent

To better understand how such bugs can happen: by default with ./play.it your unprivileged users have a read-only access to most of the game files. Only files from an explicit list are copied with write access.
So if we missed some files behaviours like the one you report can happen. Sometimes the effects are obvious, like the inability to save games, so we notice an fix the issue very quickly. But if the effect is more subtle, we might miss it for a long time before someone reports it.

Cyril 18 May

Quoting: vv221From your description, it is probably a bug on ./play.it side. I opened an issue on our forge to make sure we investigate it soon: Zeus: Master of Olympus — Resolution setting is not persistent

Thanks! And sorry I suppose. ^_^

Quoting: vv221To better understand how such bugs can happen: by default with ./play.it your unprivileged users have a read-only access to most of the game files. Only files from an explicit list are copied with write access.
So if we missed some files behaviours like the one you report can happen. Sometimes the effects are obvious, like the inability to save games, so we notice an fix the issue very quickly. But if the effect is more subtle, we might miss it for a long time before someone reports it.

Thanks for your precisions. As for the installation with "simple" Wine, I should have said that I don't remember having issues at least, but if that's the case too I would be very surprised. So yeah I think this is specific to Play.it.
I should do some tests to be sure, and for the same related-games too as you mentioned in the forge (I have the GOG versions too).

vv221 18 May

Quoting: CyrilAnd sorry I suppose. ^_^
No need to feel sorry, bug reports are great!
Whatʼs annoying is unreported bugs, not reported ones

amatai 18 May

That's really nice. I would try it should I find a way to makes my CD reader work to play the games I used to play.

vv221 18 May

Right now our CD-ROM support is still quite experimental, but with some work we should have full support in a couple releases.

Activity on this front can be followed from this issue on our tracker: CD-ROM/DVD-ROM support

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.