Join us on the Linux Gaming community on Lemmy, the federated open source alternative to Reddit.
./play.it, an easy way to install commercial games on GNU/Linux
Page: «3/4»
  Go to:
Cyril 18 May, 2020
Except this little issue I have, I don't know if I like having my games installed like other packages. I mean at least for the GOG Linux ones, I like the way it is. It works out of the box most of the time and there is an uninstall executable in each game's folder, yeah it's more the Windows way.

Maybe I would prefer it for the Humble Bundle Linux ones because in my experience they don't come with a standard package. On GOG, it's an installer .sh file and that's it. On HB it can be a .deb, a .zip/.tar.gz or a specific installer, what annoys me it's some games don't have to be installed but just "extract and play", and the lack of standard package can be problematic for some Linux distributions (if you have just a .deb but you're not on a Debian based). It's not a proper solution from my point of view.

So yeah I'm not sure... I'll think about it. ^_^
vv221 18 May, 2020
Quoting: CyrilExcept this little issue I have, I don't know if I like having my games installed like other packages. I mean at least for the GOG Linux ones, I like the way it is.
Well, not everyone is expected to like the way ./play.it does things, that’s not an issue at all

Quoting: CyrilOn HB it can be a .deb, a .zip/.tar.gz or a specific installer, what annoys me it's some games don't have to be installed but just "extract and play", and the lack of standard package can be problematic for some Linux distributions (if you have just a .deb but you're not on a Debian based). It's not a proper solution from my point of view.
With Humble Bundle, game packaging is always some kind of adventure…

shadowrun-dragonfall-linux.tar.gz_2.0.9.zip is one of these archives that makes you wonder who is in charge of building them, and how they could not see the issue

Another "funny" one is the archive for The Stanley Parable: a .tar archive, that contains a MakeSelf installer, that contains a .tar archive, this last one is actually the container of the game binaries and data

It’s of course when dealing with these crazily packaged games that ./play.it is at its best, mostly by preventing premature hair loss for our users. We endure such lovecraftian horrors to make sure you don’t have to…
vv221 12 Jul, 2020
After almost 2 years in the making, ./play.it 2.12 release candidate is ready for testing!

The changelog and the test instructions can be found on our forge: 2.12 release

Any feedback is welcome, as extensive testing is the best way to ensure we will squash most bugs before they get a chance to reach our users.

Last edited by vv221 on 12 July 2020 at 1:40 pm UTC
crt0mega 13 Jul, 2020
I'll take a look at it. The last time I tried play.it was with the old Neverwinter Nights in 2018 (as I already mentioned on Reddit) and it was a great experience.
vv221 28 Sep, 2020
./play.it 2.12.0 got released a couple weeks ago, we now have a detailed English news post about this new feature release on Reddit: ./play.it 2.12: API, GUI and video games
vv221 22 Oct, 2020
./play.it will be at the MiniDebConf Online #2, you can read a bit more about it on Reddit
vv221 29 Oct, 2020
Help required

The ./play.it bugfix release 2.12.1 entered its final testing phase before the actual release, to get as much feedback as possible from users of diverse setups will help us ensure this update is (almost) bug-free

More details, including test instructions and a changelog, can be found on our forge: 2.12.1 bugfix release

If you wish to help us in this testing phase but do not know how to do it, please ask for more instructions here.

Last edited by vv221 on 29 October 2020 at 2:22 pm UTC
vv221 17 Apr
./play.it website maintenance is interrupted, with no plan to start working again on it. This short post goes over the reasoning behind this decision, and why it was required to preserve the good health of ./play.it development, and its developers and maintainers.

A short history

When ./play.it started, we used to discuss about it only through a couple French-speaking forums. Once we reached thirty supported games, I began working on a website draft to promote this software, kindly hosted by Debian-Facile DokuWiki instance.

Near the end of 2015, I launched our own dedicated DokuWiki instance so we no longer had to rely on Debian-Facile servers. It was still a website in French only, listing usage instructions for fifty games.

As ./play.it popularity grew, an English version of our website has been added in 2016, causing the number of web pages to maintain to double. At this time, we supported one hundred games.

Of course our collection of supported games kept growing, and the current version of our website shows usage instructions in both English and French for almost 600 games.

An unmaintainable website

./play.it website now includes roughly 1,200 pages, all hand-crafted, maintained by a single person. Unsurprisingly, this takes far too much time and energy when you compare them to the result. And of course it is detrimental to a lot of other tasks, including the handling of contributions to the actual ./play.it software, or welcoming new contributors and users.

Developing a new website relying on dynamic content could help a lot alleviating this huge workload… But this again requires time, time that is already taken by the current website maintenance.

So I decided to stop all maintenance of ./play.it website, to no longer waste so much time on an alienating task, and invest back this freed time to ./play.it actual development, and helping our other contributors.

What’s next?

A new website will come some day. Maybe. Well, let’s hope it will.

To avoid starting a new unmaintainable mess, we started working on a new tool that can get some informations by scanning ./play.it files: Game scripts database. It should help us make sure that what was the bulk of the maintenance work on our previous website should be mostly automated for the next one.

Meanwhile, it is still be possible to add or update instructions on our website for specific games, but we will only do it on explicit request by our users. For such requests, you can go through the usual contact methods.

---

Original announcement, on our blog: End of website maintenance
vv221 27 Apr
That’s a new low, false copyright claims are used to try taking down ./play.it: https://forge.dotslashplay.it/-/snippets/27

Please consider giving this issue some visibility by sharing this tweet: https://twitter.com/kujiu/status/1387091225812082692
dubigrasu 27 Apr
Don't have a Twitter account, but I've sent an email to Cyan Worlds's legal department, who knows.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.