Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
./play.it, an easy way to install commercial games on GNU/Linux
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
Cyril 18 May

Except this little issue I have, I don't know if I like having my games installed like other packages. I mean at least for the GOG Linux ones, I like the way it is. It works out of the box most of the time and there is an uninstall executable in each game's folder, yeah it's more the Windows way.

Maybe I would prefer it for the Humble Bundle Linux ones because in my experience they don't come with a standard package. On GOG, it's an installer .sh file and that's it. On HB it can be a .deb, a .zip/.tar.gz or a specific installer, what annoys me it's some games don't have to be installed but just "extract and play", and the lack of standard package can be problematic for some Linux distributions (if you have just a .deb but you're not on a Debian based). It's not a proper solution from my point of view.

So yeah I'm not sure... I'll think about it. ^_^

vv221 18 May

Quoting: CyrilExcept this little issue I have, I don't know if I like having my games installed like other packages. I mean at least for the GOG Linux ones, I like the way it is.
Well, not everyone is expected to like the way ./play.it does things, that’s not an issue at all

Quoting: CyrilOn HB it can be a .deb, a .zip/.tar.gz or a specific installer, what annoys me it's some games don't have to be installed but just "extract and play", and the lack of standard package can be problematic for some Linux distributions (if you have just a .deb but you're not on a Debian based). It's not a proper solution from my point of view.
With Humble Bundle, game packaging is always some kind of adventure…

shadowrun-dragonfall-linux.tar.gz_2.0.9.zip is one of these archives that makes you wonder who is in charge of building them, and how they could not see the issue

Another "funny" one is the archive for The Stanley Parable: a .tar archive, that contains a MakeSelf installer, that contains a .tar archive, this last one is actually the container of the game binaries and data

It’s of course when dealing with these crazily packaged games that ./play.it is at its best, mostly by preventing premature hair loss for our users. We endure such lovecraftian horrors to make sure you don’t have to…

vv221 12 Jul

After almost 2 years in the making, ./play.it 2.12 release candidate is ready for testing!

The changelog and the test instructions can be found on our forge: 2.12 release

Any feedback is welcome, as extensive testing is the best way to ensure we will squash most bugs before they get a chance to reach our users.

Last edited by vv221 on 12 July 2020 at 1:40 pm UTC

crt0mega 13 Jul

I'll take a look at it. The last time I tried play.it was with the old Neverwinter Nights in 2018 (as I already mentioned on Reddit) and it was a great experience.

vv221 28 Sep

./play.it 2.12.0 got released a couple weeks ago, we now have a detailed English news post about this new feature release on Reddit: ./play.it 2.12: API, GUI and video games

vv221 about 20 hours ago

./play.it will be at the MiniDebConf Online #2, you can read a bit more about it on Reddit

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
Latest Forum Posts