Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Joetje May 29, 2020
Quoting: PangaeaAnyway, excellent game, so I think you'll have fun diving into it if you decide to buy it. I'd probably recommend getting the Imperial edition as the price is roughly the same as the game + DLCs, and you get some nice extras (including FLAC of the soundtracks, despite the GOG game page saying otherwise).

I followed your advice as it indeed is of similar price and it's nice to have a complete edition, otherwise I always feel something is missing!

Thanks also for the link with instructions to update mono to the latest version, UnityModManager works fine (had to install mono-complete) and have played around with a few mods (Custom Map Markers and Turn-Based Combat - not sure I'll keep using his one).

Only played it for a short while but I'm pretty sure I'll be spending all weekend playing it.
Pangaea May 29, 2020
Quoting: dvdWell this game uses mono, which has an annoying bug at least on my system: the more i reload the longer it takes (on some games it actually gets to be a memory leak), so it's best to kill the game and restart when your pc/laptop gets really hot/loud or takes too long to load your save game.

(ps. anyone know why the like button might disappear?)
It was mentioned somewhere, probably by Liam, that it could be related to extensions that protect users from facebook tracking and stuff like that. But I thought it got fixed. I'm running some extensions like that, and the GOL like button shows up on my end. And I'm using facebook container as well (though it probably doesn't do much given all the other stuff I have running, and with blacklisting facebook and google sites in NoScript).

The game does run up quite hefty RAM usage on my end too, at least in long sessions. At some point it may actually lead to slight graphical artifacts, so then I restart it. Haven't noticed this impact save/load times, but it's possible I suppose.

Unfortunately this is often a downside with Unity games. I hope they can improve the situation, but for the most part I think it's an engine limitation. There are ways to mitigate it from what I understand, and it takes a great deal of knowledge about how Unity works, but it's doable. Games like RimWorld is written in Unity as well, but runs really smoothly. Probably harder to do all that much about it in more graphics-heavy games like Pillars of Eternity and Pathfinder: Kingmaker. But I do hope this will be improved further in the sequel.
Pangaea May 29, 2020
Quoting: JoetjeI followed your advice as it indeed is of similar price and it's nice to have a complete edition, otherwise I always feel something is missing!

Thanks also for the link with instructions to update mono to the latest version, UnityModManager works fine (had to install mono-complete) and have played around with a few mods (Custom Map Markers and Turn-Based Combat - not sure I'll keep using his one).

Only played it for a short while but I'm pretty sure I'll be spending all weekend playing it.
Great to hear. Think you'll have a blast with it, if you like RPGs like this. I'm loving it at least (despite some negatives as well), and genuinely find it's the best cRPG to have been released since Baldur's Gate.

I use the map markers mod too, though I've not put down much yet. Also had to use the Visual Adjustments mod to change the voice set of my main character. Erroneously selected Aggressive while listening to music during character creation, and ended up hating it. Oddly enough there wasn't a way to change this in-game, but this mod can do it (plus a million other things, but I've not looked into that). Prefer RTWP combat myself, but it's good there is a mod for the TB crowd as well. And turn-based mode will be part of the sequel Wrath of the Righteous. They say we can change between them on the fly.

Maybe this is a well-known mod, but there is also the extra portraits from Heroes of the Stolen Lands. Tons of stuff in there so it took a while to look through, but I like more options like this. The base game should have had more portraits tbh. Most of them seem to just be portraits from characters already in the game (like Maegar Varn and Tartuccio). This one doesn't need Unity Mod Manager either, so that's nice.
dvd Jun 3, 2020
Quoting: Pangaea
Quoting: dvdWell this game uses mono, which has an annoying bug at least on my system: the more i reload the longer it takes (on some games it actually gets to be a memory leak), so it's best to kill the game and restart when your pc/laptop gets really hot/loud or takes too long to load your save game.

(ps. anyone know why the like button might disappear?)
It was mentioned somewhere, probably by Liam, that it could be related to extensions that protect users from facebook tracking and stuff like that. But I thought it got fixed. I'm running some extensions like that, and the GOL like button shows up on my end. And I'm using facebook container as well (though it probably doesn't do much given all the other stuff I have running, and with blacklisting facebook and google sites in NoScript).

The game does run up quite hefty RAM usage on my end too, at least in long sessions. At some point it may actually lead to slight graphical artifacts, so then I restart it. Haven't noticed this impact save/load times, but it's possible I suppose.

Unfortunately this is often a downside with Unity games. I hope they can improve the situation, but for the most part I think it's an engine limitation. There are ways to mitigate it from what I understand, and it takes a great deal of knowledge about how Unity works, but it's doable. Games like RimWorld is written in Unity as well, but runs really smoothly. Probably harder to do all that much about it in more graphics-heavy games like Pillars of Eternity and Pathfinder: Kingmaker. But I do hope this will be improved further in the sequel.

Thanks. In my experience it has nothing to do with how resource intensive the games are, since the same happens to me in Realpolitiks too, and that game isn't very heavy on resource by itself.
Pangaea Jun 3, 2020
Quoting: dvdThanks. In my experience it has nothing to do with how resource intensive the games are, since the same happens to me in Realpolitiks too, and that game isn't very heavy on resource by itself.
Yeah, think it has mostly with how Unity is dealing with these things. Perhaps it's related to the plethora of bundle files Unity games have, instead of more direct access.

(Or maybe this is a good thing, I don't know the technical side). However, a typical complaint for many Unity games is long loading times. 5-10 seconds isn't a whole ton, but it does get frustrating staring at those screens every few minutes.

As part of working with wikis I have extracted assets from many a Unity game, and it's such a clusterfuck at times. Perhaps that kind of compression is required, but I can't help but thinking it is part of the loading time issue as well. The memory side looks tricky too, with big helper articles like this to guide people: https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/memory-management-in-unity

I have recently started on the Varnhold's Lot DLC btw. Pretty hard, but good fun so far. Wish it was better integrated into the main campaign, as it's basically a totally separate module (but we can import a main campaign save, and then import the DLC thing back again, from what I understand). The DLC itself seems good, however, although I'm far from having completed it yet.
Pangaea Jun 6, 2020
Completed Varnhold's Lot DLC. Thought it was really well-done, and the dungeon in it had more versatility than the late game, which I liked. More fun that way. The dungeon is pretty huge over several floors, and is less annoying to move around and battle in than the "House". As usual I tried to rest as little as possible, so it was sticky to explore and get into rough combat when my spellcasters were out of spells (even healing spells), and we only slept 3 times. You can pick up a decent amount of resting supplies, though, so shouldn't be a problem to rest a whole ton there if it's needed (provided you bring 20-ish supplies to start with).

I strongly recommend to set up your own party. Your own character is kind of a hanger-on to Varn and his mage, but they won't always be around. You simply cannot afford to "carry" the three not-so-good characters that are already set up (and they have no interaction anyway, like the 'proper' companions). So create your own lot, and try to cover as many bases as needed, especially trickery for traps and locks, and a healer. Would also say it's required that at least one of your people are able to tank reasonably well. I happened to go with this crew, which worked out quite well:

• Main: Fighter with two-hander (could tank decently as well, especially when I found an item that gave him the Shield spell a couple times a day)

• Cleric (Ecclesitheurge): Picked up Selective channels so I can heal my party mid-combat without fear of healing enemies as well. Got the animal domain, which meant she could get a pet, which helps in combat. The leopard died quite regularly, but still helped out

• Bard (Thundercaller): Bards are really strong in the game, and I wanted to try out Thundercaller. Bards also get some good spells, where especially Good Hope is great.

• Magus (Sword Saint): Apparently this is a really strong class, and can get both great defense (AC) and offense. It's what they call a "gish", an arcane caster that's also a fighter. Spells were mostly about self-buffs, but at high levels he could probably get some proper damage spells too. For the most part I stuck Shield + Mirror Image on him and went to town

Two things I really like about this game is the implementation of bards and clerics. Usually bards are a bit crap because they can either sing OR fight, but here they can do both simultaneously. That greatly improves their use. Really good for party buffs and some crowd control (CC). Clerics are like all clerics really, mainly about healing the party. But what is nice here is that you can convert spells to healing spells without slotting the healing spell in the book. So in a pinch you can convert a level 1 spell like Remove Fear to Cure Light Wounds, which increases their versatility. I still put in a high amount of healing spells because I need them anyway, but in a place like this and when I try to restrict resting, it's really nice to convert them at will. This also helps when resting, because the cleric will then use all available spells to heal the party, including converting unspent spells.

Well then... time to continue with the main story and see how whatever I did in the DLC will impact things. I've heard you are able to buy some of the items found in the DLC, and some of those were pretty sweet, and presumably some of the decisions will be reflected as well. We shall see :)

Last edited by Pangaea on 6 June 2020 at 2:24 am UTC
Shmerl Jul 26, 2020
Started playing the game. It's pretty good. Some questions I got:

* Do you use the party AI or keep it off?
* How do you queue several actions for one character when the game is paused?

The combat is still somewhat confusing.
Shmerl Jul 26, 2020
Also, I'm trying to use spells, but sometimes that action doesn't do anything.
dvd Jul 26, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlAlso, I'm trying to use spells, but sometimes that action doesn't do anything.
I'm not sure which character(s) do you use, but for pure mages the spells are capped to a certain number per rest. Some classes have spells that they can cast without limits (these are called cantrips in the game iirc).

If you are sure that you cast a spell that had uses left, it is still possible that you get nothing, since some enemy attacks are capable of interrupting spellcasters (attacking a spellcaster while he is waving his hands around in fact also carries bonuses like increased chance for criticals for the attacker beside the chance to interrupt the spellcasting)

If you play with pure mages/wizard, play them as if they were cowards. Some enemies can still charge on them, but at least they will be somewhat safe from the ones that can't.

Quoting: ShmerlStarted playing the game. It's pretty good. Some questions I got:

Keeping the AI on/off is a matter of choice/taste, i kept it off in my playthrough, because that was the way i liked to play Pillars too.

I'm not sure if you can queue up actions. Use space to pause and/or adjuct combat speed.
Schattenspiegel Jul 26, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlStarted playing the game. It's pretty good. Some questions I got:

Probably better to keep the AI off to prevent your casters wasting your spells.
I am also not aware of a queue function in this game. They do have the definite edition which includes turn-based mode planed for august 18th, though.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.