Join us on our own very special Reddit: /r/Linuxers
Alternative to Stadia
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Patola 23 Jun

Yeah, pretty much a requisite for me too, not paying the Microsoft tax. That would be the sole reason Stadia could be seen as palatable for me.

dubigrasu 23 Jun

Somewhere buried on their pages there was a statement saying that they're planning to rent Linux machines too. So basically a full Linux chain.
But that is something I've read a while back, no idea if they're still working at it or just gave up or something else.

Last edited by dubigrasu on 23 June 2020 at 1:57 pm UTC

damarrin 23 Jun

There's basically no-one outside of Google or Valve with the interest and means to make a streaming platform that's based on Linux. If any such platform were to succeed, especially when it advertises full Steam, GOG, etc compatibility, it must be running on Windows. So I'm really surprised all those "is it running on Linux" questions were even there.

The Linux client, however, if it works and is well supported, is something that sets this service apart.

Shmerl 23 Jun

There is no such thing as "it must be running on Windows". Stadia doesn't. If Valve are to launch anything, I doubt they'll use Windows either.

I'm surprised Stadia itself is not an example enough to demonstrate it. All those "let's use Windows" services are just cheapskates who caved in to paying Windows tax and don't want to do any serious work.

Last edited by Shmerl on 23 June 2020 at 5:58 pm UTC

damarrin 23 Jun

Stadia doesn't advertise running all the games you own from various stores. What's the point you're trying to make?

damarrin 23 Jun

Quoting: ShmerlAll those "let's use Windows" services are just cheapskates who caved in to paying Windows tax and don't want to do any serious work.

Wow.

Shmerl 23 Jun

You don't need to advertise "running all games". And if they used Wine they could advertise running a lot more anyway. Valve is quite likely to do that.

Shmerl 23 Jun

I see them as cheapskates, since it's a lot easier to take Windows and run it, instead of making Windows games work on Linux like Valve did.

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...