Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
[Solved] Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order does not run, as EA Origin detects no Internet
Page: «5/5
  Go to:
Koopacabras Jun 23, 2021
hey @LordDaveTheKind

what's your opinion about the game? did u finish it? it's an awesome game in my opinion 9/10, but otoh I cannot recommend this to my Linux friends because of the performance issues. The most problematic stuff apart from origin is that every time you enter a new map (or load the game), it stutters for 3-5 five minutes or more, for me it was really really annoying, besides I got like 15 crashes, (got a crash dialog).
It's not an issue with my hardware, it should be more than enough to play this game, besides I tried lowering the quality and it did not help.
This was very similar to what I experienced with Senua's Sacrifice which is Unreal engine too but the loading maps and stuttering were less noticeable (on that game).

Last edited by Koopacabras on 23 June 2021 at 10:15 am UTC
LordDaveTheKind Jun 23, 2021
Quoting: The_Aquabathey @LordDaveTheKind

what's your opinion about the game? did u finish it? it's an awesome game in my opinion 9/10, but otoh I cannot recommend this to my Linux friends because of the performance issues. The most problematic stuff apart from origin is that every time you enter a new map (or load the game), it stutters for 3-5 five minutes or more, for me it was really really annoying, besides I got like 15 crashes, (got a crash dialog).

At the time I played, I was with an NVIDIA 1080Ti, and it didn't give me many significant performance issues. The most significant fix was to make sure that the Origin client does not mess up with the filesystem: usually, the Origin Client (running in background) was performing several Read and Write actions in the filesystem with regular occurrence, causing a slow down of the game performance and lots of game stuttering. Workaround has been to set read-only permissions to the Origin AppData directory in the Wine Prefix. A simple statement like this did the trick: chmod +a 555 -r ./Origin 

From the Gameplay perspective, as I was coming from the Sekiro 100% achievement (which would take more than 100hrs to an ordinary noob like me), I would have expected a longer game (you can complete the main story line in 30~40hrs, and all the achievements in 50). The game mechanics are not as clean as in Sekiro, but the game feels very enjoyable. You don't need to set the game to a specific hardship if you would like to get all the achievements (which I believe is an appealing choice).

Last edited by LordDaveTheKind on 23 June 2021 at 10:54 am UTC
Koopacabras Jun 24, 2021
Quoting: LordDaveTheKind
Quoting: The_Aquabathey @LordDaveTheKind

At the time I played, I was with an NVIDIA 1080Ti, and it didn't give me many significant performance issues. The most significant fix was to make sure that the Origin client does not mess up with the filesystem: usually, the Origin Client (running in background) was performing several Read and Write actions in the filesystem with regular occurrence, causing a slow down of the game performance and lots of game stuttering. Workaround has been to set read-only permissions to the Origin AppData directory in the Wine Prefix. A simple statement like this did the trick: chmod +a 555 -r ./Origin 

From the Gameplay perspective, as I was coming from the Sekiro 100% achievement (which would take more than 100hrs to an ordinary noob like me), I would have expected a longer game (you can complete the main story line in 30~40hrs, and all the achievements in 50). The game mechanics are not as clean as in Sekiro, but the game feels very enjoyable. You don't need to set the game to a specific hardship if you would like to get all the achievements (which I believe is an appealing choice).

yeah I tried the chmod trick, didn't cut it for me. It's something that causes shader recompiling I guess.... but it doesn't surprise me that it runs better on Nvidia, Unreal engine is one of the few engines that runs better on Nvidia. (And it's not a problem of hardware a 5600 xt, the card I have, has comparable performance to a vanilla 1080, so performance-wise it's pretty similar gpu)

Speaking about the gameplay, I really liked it but at middle game I struggled a lot then I started figuring out the mechanics and went more smooth, but it's not intuitive the way the combat works, for example there's always a small delay in each action you execute because every move you make triggers an animation and you cannot interrupt it, for example you want to parry but in the middle you decided you want to attack instead, you cannot do that you have to wait the animation of parry and then attack, it took me a while to figure that out. Also there's other combat mechanics that don't seem well implemented imho. But overall it was enjoyable and I never ever played anything souls like . It's a game aimed for the kind of people that like souls like games, definitely.

And it took me 35 hours to finish it, actually a little more really, because I went back a couple of saves and killed the final boss with a different strategy. But I don't have achievements because I'm playing this on Epic Store. But exploring everything to 100%, and getting all the chests and collecting all the items, it surely should take a considerable amount of time.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 24 June 2021 at 8:11 am UTC
LordDaveTheKind Jun 24, 2021
Quoting: The_AquabatSpeaking about the gameplay, I really liked it but at middle game I struggled a lot then I started figuring out the mechanics and went more smooth, but it's not intuitive the way the combat works, for example there's always a small delay in each action you execute because every move you make triggers an animation and you cannot interrupt it, for example you want to parry but in the middle you decided you want to attack instead, you cannot do that you have to wait the animation of parry and then attack, it took me a while to figure that out. Also there's other combat mechanics that don't seem well implemented imho. But overall it was enjoyable and I never ever played anything souls like . It's a game aimed for the kind of people that like souls like games, definitely.
Yes I agree. In-combat animations are definitely the main reason why the combat feels a little clunky. You should definitely give a go to Sekiro, which has the original game mechanics (and better than all the other clones around).

Quoting: The_AquabatAnd it took me 35 hours to finish it, actually a little more really, because I went back a couple of saves and killed the final boss with a different strategy. But I don't have achievements because I'm playing this on Epic Store. But exploring everything to 100%, and getting all the chests and collecting all the items, it surely should take a considerable amount of time.
Not that much if you follow a wiki. By the end of the run I already had a 80% completion rate, and getting to the 100% was just following the right instructions then.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.