Join us on our own very special Reddit: /r/Linuxers
So...if Microsoft...
Page: «4/4
  Go to:
Solar 28 Jul

Quoting: Lemosbash
Quoting: Patola+1: Linux user first, gamer second. And I find it unsettling that there are people who don't care about freedoms.

I just loved that comment so much
Personally, I don't entertain passive aggressiveness, especially in such a hypothetical topic. It's pointless.

One thing I have noticed with Linux, the community is too damn serious all the time.

Patola 29 Jul

Quoting: Solar
Quoting: Patola+1: Linux user first, gamer second. And I find it unsettling that there are people who don't care about freedoms.
Personally, I don't entertain passive aggressiveness, especially in such a hypothetical topic. It's pointless.
Don't worry, I have no problem being actively aggressive, like confronting you for trying to downplay the importance of freedoms without using any arguments at all -- only classifying my complaint, in a way that's not even informative. The only pointless thing here is your poor attempt of a rant.

Last edited by Patola on 29 July 2020 at 7:33 am UTC

"So...if Microsoft..." .. did not steal DOS to begin with..then what?
"So...if Microsoft..." .. had managed to make DirectX 10 for Windows XP? ..then what?
"So...if Microsoft..." .. had managed to make a somewhat uniform UI theme that Windows systemtray utils, and Windows itself, would adhere to?..then what? Don't you just love when a proprietary systray utility of a soundcard driver grabs ~100MB of RAM at startup? Not to mention the graphics card's proprietary 'Control & Monitor & 'Overclocking' UTILITY' utilities ..just to look fancy
"So...if Microsoft..." .. did not need literally ~12 hours of running 'Windows Update' ?.. then what?
"So...if Microsoft..." .. did not step to at initial 30-40GB of install requirements? ..then what?
"So...if Microsoft..." .. Managed to someday make an OS that did not do annoying pop-ups..then what?
"So...if Microsoft..." .. Managed to someday make a Videogame Console that did not require USB stick to 'de-brick' it after a failed 'updating Xbox.. 60% done.. 60% done.. 60% done' ..
"So...if Microsoft..." .. Bothered to keep Windows Live and Games For Windows Live running .. Instead of being just fully retarded..then what?

What if...Microsoft... .. Some day, in the future.. Managed to, somehow, make a somewhat OK, less shitty, operating system??

"So...if Microsoft..." ..When pigs fly..wut?

(you are warned..best not click it..don't do it!!)

Spoiler, click me

SAY HELLO TO ASS, POOP AND BUTT SHIT OF WINDOWS!!!
link
link
link
link
link
link
link
link
link
link
link
link
link
link
link
link
link
link
link
link

..PLEASE, LET ME DIE!!

https://youtu.be/1ozdpmqRQng

Last edited by Duck Hunt-Pr0 on 29 July 2020 at 10:43 am UTC

Arehandoro 29 Jul

I'd like to expand on the topic saying that for Microsoft it doesn't matter so much whether we use Windows or not. For us "compute people" what Microsoft wants is that we use Github, VS Code, Powershell, .NET, Azure, etc.

And this, as a community, it's more difficult to escape, some of the above mentioned tools might be chosen for us at work to be used, but also I see less people complaining about it.

I don't like Microsoft (At the moment only have a foldable keyboard made by them) and will avoid using any of their products as much as I can, at least at a personal level.

Cyril 29 Jul

Quoting: Duck Hunt-Pr0Snip...

Ahah, dude, I love you!

Quoting: ArehandoroI'd like to expand on the topic saying that for Microsoft it doesn't matter so much whether we use Windows or not. For us "compute people" what Microsoft wants is that we use Github, VS Code, Powershell, .NET, Azure, etc.

I remember reading something like that, Bill Gates would rather see you using a pirate version of Windows rather than using another OS... But I can't find the source.
So yeah for him at least, it matter so much.

Arehandoro 29 Jul

Quoting: Cyril
Quoting: Duck Hunt-Pr0Snip...

Ahah, dude, I love you!

Quoting: ArehandoroI'd like to expand on the topic saying that for Microsoft it doesn't matter so much whether we use Windows or not. For us "compute people" what Microsoft wants is that we use Github, VS Code, Powershell, .NET, Azure, etc.

I remember reading something like that, Bill Gates would rather see you using a pirate version of Windows rather than using another OS... But I can't find the source.
So yeah for him at least, it matter so much.

I remember that too, but that was few years back. However, I meant that for "computer people" using Windows or not isn't what matters for Microsoft, but for "normal consumers" is another topic. In any case, Microsoft does get much more revenue from products like Azure and Server licencing, or even Xbox, that from Windows:

https://businessquant.com/microsoft-revenue-by-product

And another chart, albeit from 2015:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-microsoft-apple-where-does-the-money-come-from/

Also, forgot to mention earlier, I have the feeling that Microsoft already started abandoing the desktop OS business, even if we won't see it just yet. They will centre the efforts on their public cloud, keep buying more successful platforms and add few extra <something> as a service products.

Cyril 29 Jul

Quoting: ArehandoroAlso, forgot to mention earlier, I have the feeling that Microsoft already started abandoing the desktop OS business, even if we won't see it just yet. They will centre the efforts on their public cloud, keep buying more successful platforms and add few extra <something> as a service products.

Indeed they are. They're buying "all" the cloud services in many countries...(even if you don't know or think Microsoft is behind it) With that, they could have even more control in our data... it's a serious issue for everybody.
Until now, if you didn't like Microsoft (for many reasons), it was/is could be pretty easy to avoid them, using Linux etc...
But with the cloud thing... self-hosting will become the new thing if it's not the case already.

Arehandoro 30 Jul

Quoting: Cyril
Quoting: ArehandoroAlso, forgot to mention earlier, I have the feeling that Microsoft already started abandoing the desktop OS business, even if we won't see it just yet. They will centre the efforts on their public cloud, keep buying more successful platforms and add few extra <something> as a service products.

Indeed they are. They're buying "all" the cloud services in many countries...(even if you don't know or think Microsoft is behind it) With that, they could have even more control in our data... it's a serious issue for everybody.
Until now, if you didn't like Microsoft (for many reasons), it was/is could be pretty easy to avoid them, using Linux etc...
But with the cloud thing... self-hosting will become the new thing if it's not the case already.

Agreed 100%, self-hosting it's probably the best option we have. Or try to rely in small independent and privacy friendly organisations.

Quoting: Patola
Don't worry, I have no problem being actively aggressive[...]

*sniggering*

muttley sniggering

Solar 2 Aug

Quoting: Patola
Don't worry, I have no problem being actively aggressive, like confronting you for trying to downplay the importance of freedoms without using any arguments at all -- only classifying my complaint, in a way that's not even informative. The only pointless thing here is your poor attempt of a rant.
I'm not downplaying any thing, it's just friendly banter. You are the one trying to change the course of the topic with your seriousness. Lighten up will you.
If I was ranting, I would sound like you.
You seem like one of these types of people

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...