Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Can't play normally against an Epic Games version of Civilization VI
DelGro95 Aug 11, 2020
If i understood correctly, cross play for us linux gamers should now be available, but apparently i can't play with this friend of mine that has the game from Epic Games Store on Windows except through "Play by Cloud" which is incredibly slow way to play since game has to pass whole save files and reload them every pass of turn

His version has "join codes" to join other people's games, i have them only in "Play by Cloud". Creating an Internet game won't appear in the other's list of internet games, and our lists of internet games are different, very few times we found a game with same game name on both our screens and anyway we couldn't make it in time to join in it together. I'm wondering what would happen if a Windows Steam version would invite me and give my friend the join code, but i couldn't try this since i don't know anyone with Windows Steam version.

Probably a way to avoid this problem would be install windows version of the game through Proton but i have tried and all i could see starting the game is grey screen, i searched about this problem but i didn't find any solution.

Does anyone know a way to make me play civ6 with my friend at a decent speed without me installing windows or he buying Steam version of the game?
Liam Dawe Aug 11, 2020
The Windows version doesn't work with Proton and last I checked, Aspyr Media did not put cross-play with Epic into the Linux build.
DelGro95 Aug 11, 2020
Quoting: Liam DaweThe Windows version doesn't work with Proton and last I checked, Aspyr Media did not put cross-play with Epic into the Linux build.
Do you think there is any chance it will be added in the future?
Liam Dawe Aug 11, 2020
Quoting: DelGro95
Quoting: Liam DaweThe Windows version doesn't work with Proton and last I checked, Aspyr Media did not put cross-play with Epic into the Linux build.
Do you think there is any chance it will be added in the future?
The more people that email them about it the better, it's absolutely possible as Epic Online Services support Linux and Barony does it.
DelGro95 Jul 5, 2021
Update: yesterday i found out that recently Proton (version 6.3-5) is capable of running correctly windows version of the game in fact i could play a normal match with that friend with Windows and Epic Games Store version of the game through the "Unified PC Play"
P.S.: i won
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.