Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Games and Application suggestions
Patola 13 Aug

As there are lots of VR titles, this space is for suggesting some games for the VR newcomer. I propose the following: the game with a link to its page, if it's Windows its protondb status, and a short description including your personal feelings about it.

• Skyrim VR with VRIK - Gold - it works wonders but for VRIK which depends on SKSE VR + SkyUI you need a special patch for it to correctly load the DLLs so I made a special build of proton with it (to be used in the compatibilitytools.d directory like Proton-GE and others): Proton for Skyrim VR with SKSEVR -- Skyrim VR is the most addictive VR game I have used so far, specially because I have almost 40 mods on it which make it even more beautiful and engaging, and improve a lot on the VR experience (VRIK). Note: To manage the mods I use the nexus Vortex Mod Manager which I installed via Lutris, please that notice of the install instructions there. Also for Nexus to correctly install the mods you'll just have to point it to the games folder and add a link from its plugins.txt file to %APPDATA%/Skyrim VR/plugins.txt (usually <steam prefix>/steamapps/compatdata/611670/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Local Settings/Application Data/Skyrim VR/plugins.txt)

• Fallout 4 VR - Silver - same thing as Skyrim, but it is better on VR out of the box so apparently does not have something like VRIK for it.

• Karnage Chronicles - Platinum - a relatively short linear fantasy RPG game but made for VR, with stupendous and performant graphics and a really inovative interface.

• Synth Riders -- Gold -- a VERY intense rhythm game, and believe me, I do not usually like these games but I am kind of addicted to it, it's fun, it's fast, its assortment of songs is great and there are many custom songs from the community. And it's very good for exercising.

• BOXVR -- Platinum -- from the same company that made Synth Riders, but the exercises are more taxing because you have to actually make the punch movement. Note that it is not actual Box in a ring with an opponent, it's just an exercise/dancing game, but it is very good nonetheless.

• No Man's Sky - Gold - It is the non-exclusive-VR game with the BEST VR interface I have seen so far, and it performs very well on Linux.

• Payday 2 -- it works with VR on Linux quite well, but sometimes crashes -- but this has been improving with latest patches and proton versions. Although it's native, for VR you will need to use the windows build via proton.

• All Serious Sam VR games - native - need I say anything more? It's a classic. And you can dual-shoot enemies! If you like shooters, this one is a must!

• Doom VFR -- Gold -- It's Doom! Do you need any other info?

• Final Assault -- Platinum -- this is the most prominent of the increasing diversification of deep VR games to new genres, in this case RTS. It uses a very specialized and fluid interface for you to command your units.

Last edited by Patola on 13 August 2020 at 11:23 pm UTC

slaapliedje 14 Aug

Battlezone-- Gold -- This is a rebooted Battlezone (Atari sold off the IP, so Rebellion made a new one!). Some of the ratings on protondb are Platinum, and when I last played it a while back it was definitely Platinum as it had no issues. This plays with a game pad (Steam Controller is amazing for it) and VR or pancake mode.

buono 15 Aug

Moss -- Platinum. A VR platformer beautifully excuted in a fairy-tail theme.

Budget Cuts -- Gold. Adventure through offices inhabited by robots - some of them are not very friendly. Amusing and fun! Although it is rated gold on protondb I do not remember running into any issues with rendering or performance.

Budget Cuts 2 : Mission Insolvency -- Not Ranked. More of the same but with arrows! - Everything is better with arrows :). Again the game ran well - BUT the videos on the TV monitors failed to play.

Sacralith: The Archers Tale -- Not Ranked. Set in a time of magic long ago you play the archer defending your companions on a mission to control the dragon. The game runs well without modification, the only issue is occasional long loading screens.

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.