You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
How do you feel about framerates?
Page: 1/6»
  Go to:
TimeFreeze 19 Aug

I saw a discussion about that and i find it quite interesting so i thought why not discuss it here too!

As i see it there are 3 Groups of FPS guys:

1: 100fps minimum or i wont play it.

2: 60fps minimum and ONLY when not other possible 30 is acceptable.

3: [This group includes me] I'm totally fine with 15-20fps.

Seriously i dont get it why so many cry about 30fps. Probably i'm the one who is weird here but who cares

damarrin 19 Aug

Spoiled brats, the lot of them.

I have played numerous games at 15-20 fps and will undoubtedly do so again when my PC is no longer up to snuff because I just hate putting any options to medium.

Liam Dawe 19 Aug

It depends on the type of game really but I do generally want a smooth 60FPS. I don't care about higher than that, because I only have a 60hz monitor (like most people...). By the time 120hz or higher monitors are the norm, even integrated GPUs will run most existing things to 120FPS or better IMO.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 19 August 2020 at 11:34 am UTC

ageres 19 Aug

For online shooters - 60 FPS or bust.
For most games I can tolerate 45 FPS, any lower number makes me feel uncomfortable. If it's lower than 25, it's unplayable for me.
I played Saints Row 2 with 15-20 FPS, and my eyes ached after long sessions. Mad Max ran poorly with drops to 15 FPS on my old computer powered by AMD FX. I even contacted Feral tech support, and they said me the only solution would be switching to Intel.

My new Ryzen 7 can handle with any game easily, and games are bound with my GTX 1060. Which still can run anything at 60 FPS so far at high graphics settings. I think I can live a year or two with my current GPU, lowering graphics settings as may be necessary. Modern games have plenty of graphics options allowing to get any desired framerate. Not so many tweaks for relieving CPU though, so get good CPUs, guys, in order to never be annoyed by framerates.

What concerns me about modern graphics cards, besides they cost like a jet plane, is their low VRAM capacity. 8 GB even for RTX 2080, seriously? Sometimes GTX 1060 is bounded by its VRAM size, not by its capability. Youtube bloggers, dedicated to running games on low spec hardware, when trying to use something like 750 Ti or worse, get most troubles with its VRAM amount, not with its performance. Notify me when a $300 GPU is released with at least 12 GB, so I could start thinking about an upgrade.

tuubi 19 Aug

Smooth and consistent framerates are more important than the actual FPS number, but the motion isn't properly smooth up to around 50-60 FPS. Especially in fast-paced 3D games. Sure, I can play at lower rates but 3D at less than 30 is usually pretty painful. Motion blur is not much of a solution.

Quoting: ageresWhat concerns me about modern graphics cards, besides they cost like a jet plane, is their low VRAM capacity. 8 GB even for RTX 2080, seriously? Sometimes GTX 1060 is bounded by its VRAM size, not by its capability. Youtube bloggers, dedicated to running games on low spec hardware, when trying to use something like 750 Ti or worse, get most troubles with its VRAM amount, not with its performance. Notify me when a $300 GPU is released with at least 12 GB, so I could start thinking about an upgrade.
Can you think of any particular game that requires more than 8 gigs? I don't think I own any. Some games will reserve as much as they can, but that doesn't usually affect the actual gameplay in any way.

ageres 19 Aug

Quoting: tuubiCan you think of any particular game that requires more than 8 gigs?
I've got only 6 GB, so I can only say about games where I'm bounded by this amount. The latest Resident Evil games. RE3 crashes every time it hits 6 GB, and I had to reduce lots of graphics effects to avoid that. For some reason, the game tries to use all VRAM I have even after tweaking. Shadow of the Tomb Raider, AFAIR, is hungry for VRAM too. And I'm on FullHD, so I suppose playing at QHD/4k can exceed 8 GB easily. What's the point of buying a new overpriced GPU if you have to lower graphics to fit into 8 GB, getting the same visuals you could get with RX 580/590?

Also, with new consoles coming soon, system requirements for games will inevitably become higher, starting with memory. Thus I think VRAM size matters the most in GPUs. I've also heard that games on Linux with DXVK and Vulkan consume more VRAM that on Windows with DirectX.

eldaking 19 Aug

Framerate is a thing for people that play AAA action games and want to get the gourmet experience. It's like asking the sommelier for the wine that harmonizes best with your meal - it does make a real difference (or so I hear), but most people do just fine without it. Weren't consoles locked into 30FPS, and lay people were ok with that?

Me, I play turn-based strategy games where I have to wait for seconds between turns, nothing moves very fast, and I'm more worried about how information is presented than pretty lights and facial expressions. And also puzzle games where nothing moves on the screen for minutes at a time. And also 2D indie games with retro graphics, where the entire attack animation has a handful of sprites. And so on.

It's not that I don't care about graphics - I care a lot! - but that this particular metric isn't very useful for me. I will check if the game is stuttering or if it is annoyingly slow, but I don't have a target framerate to hit. I probably play some games that run below 10FPS (based on how they look funny when moving), but I haven't really checked.

tuubi 19 Aug

Quoting: ageres
Quoting: tuubiCan you think of any particular game that requires more than 8 gigs?
I've got only 6 GB, so I can only say about games where I'm bounded by this amount. The latest Resident Evil games. RE3 crashes every time it hits 6 GB, and I had to reduce lots of graphics effects to avoid that. For some reason, the game tries to use all VRAM I have even after tweaking.
Are you sure this isn't a Proton/DXVK issue?

Quoting: ageresShadow of the Tomb Raider, AFAIR, is hungry for VRAM too. And I'm on FullHD, so I suppose playing at QHD/4k can exceed 8 GB easily. What's the point of buying a new overpriced GPU if you have to lower graphics to fit into 8 GB, getting the same visuals you could get with RX 580/590?
I wouldn't be too worried as long as you're just guessing and extrapolating. Feral recommends 8 GB of VRAM for the game BTW. I assume that should be enough for 4K. Can't really test because my screen is 1080p as well.

Quoting: ageresAlso, with new consoles coming soon, system requirements for games will inevitably become higher, starting with memory. Thus I think VRAM size matters the most in GPUs. I've also heard that games on Linux with DXVK and Vulkan consume more VRAM that on Windows with DirectX.
The new PS5 has 8GB of VRAM. New AAA games aren't likely to target any higher for the next couple of years at least.

An API translation layer like DXVK can definitely add some overhead. Vulkan isn't any more memory hungry than DX12 though.

ageres 19 Aug

Quoting: tuubiAre you sure this isn't a Proton/DXVK issue?
I'm not. Does it matter? For a Linux-only gamer there is no choice anyway how to play it. Even without crashes there would be stuttering when no VRAM available left.
Quoting: tuubiFeral recommends 8 GB of VRAM for the game BTW. I assume that should be enough for 4K. Can't really test because my screen is 1080p as well.
How much VRAM does SotTR (and other games) use at FHD and max settings on your rig?
Quoting: tuubiThe new PS5 has 8GB of VRAM.

Last edited by ageres on 19 August 2020 at 4:10 pm UTC

Salvatos 19 Aug

20 FPS sounds about right to me. As long as it’s constant (e.g. no stuttering when rotating the camera), I don’t see a difference with anything higher than that. I’ve played Guild Wars 2 at FPSs closer to 10 and that wasn’t very comfortable, but still playable. The real issue wasn’t even the actual FPS but the fact that it skipped frames when I turned around.

Ehvis 19 Aug

Since I have GSYNC it has been less of an issue. I hate tearing so I refuse to play without vsync, but if a game couldn't reach 60 fps, it was a bit of an issue. Now with GSYNC it still feels smooth down to 40 fps and I really start to notice something is up at about 35 fps. But it depends a lot on the game of course.

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.