Join us on our own very special Reddit: /r/Linuxers
How do you feel about framerates?
Page: «6/6
  Go to:
Jared 11 Sep

All games should strive to have an uncapped FPS, with the option of capping it available to the player. If a game has deviations in its framerates where it dips to a factor 10, it dies become noticeable.

I can clearly tell the difference with 30 vs 60. Tried in Demons Souls with the 60fps patch. The difference is night and day if you use both. I did play it just fine the first time with 30fps, but if i could have the option then of course more = better if it is constant stable framerate. For me 60 is enough, but if i would try 120 or 240 i might think different.

For anyone thinking about buying a 144hz monitor, I just want to say that it is so silky smooth that 60fps looks like 30 to me now. I have my older 60hz monitor next to my 144hz and it's night and day. It does kind of take out the experience sometimes, because 60fps is the standard...some games have locked framerates and some games struggle with 60+ fps. I remember when 40+fps was amazing to me...hell, I remember playing Skyrim @ 20fps on an ancient laptop and thinking that it couldn't get any better!

slaapliedje 16 Sep

Quoting: JaredAll games should strive to have an uncapped FPS, with the option of capping it available to the player. If a game has deviations in its framerates where it dips to a factor 10, it dies become noticeable.
On the flip side of this, I think something should change with multiplayer games.
1) either they should be capped at 60fps, with the intention to obtain a solid 60fps.
2) Do game pairing algorithms based on computer performance. Basically run a check if the hardware has changed, if so then run a benchmark to see what frames the current settings are giving, then you go into a pool of 'runs at xx-xxx FPS. That way everyone is fairly matched, and people with more money aren't the winners.

Being able to run at 144fps in something like Battlefield will for sure let you beat the hell out of people running at 30.

Single player games though, it makes ZERO sense to cap them at all.

People with latest / greatest hardware / monitors shouldn't have that huge of an advantage gaming against people who last upgraded their PC a decade ago...

Wrestling and boxing have tiers for a reason, online gaming shouldn't be any different. It's like why I stopped playing Magic the Gathering. It became how much you spent on it and looking for cards more than just strategy of how you built your deck.

Quoting: kennethdodrillFor anyone thinking about buying a 144hz monitor, I just want to say that it is so silky smooth that 60fps looks like 30 to me now. I have my older 60hz monitor next to my 144hz and it's night and day. It does kind of take out the experience sometimes, because 60fps is the standard...some games have locked framerates and some games struggle with 60+ fps. I remember when 40+fps was amazing to me...hell, I remember playing Skyrim @ 20fps on an ancient laptop and thinking that it couldn't get any better!
And for anyone thinking of getting a super ultrawide at 144hz.

To quote Belloq, "It's Beautiful!" (okay fine, my face didn't melt off, but it about did!) Downside of running 3840x1200 is that some older games will require that you do some tweaks / hacks to get it to work (Witcher 2 required hex editing :) ). Interesting side note. When I booted into Windows to test DLSS2.0 for Shadow of the Tomb Raider, it limited the resolution to 1920x1200. So it ripped out the wide screen.

Also, my monitor supports 4k (3840x2160) but it looks kind of weird (hard to explain, but it's definitely not as nice as the 27" 4k screens I have).

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.