Overclocking made easy on Navi
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Koopacabras Aug 25, 2020
just in case anyone wonders, CoreCtrl is working really great with my Navi 5600 xt.

https://gitlab.com/corectrl/corectrl
QuoteArch Linux
Install corectrl from the AUR.
With yay, run:
yay -Sy corectrl

Fedora
sudo dnf install corectrl

Gentoo
Add the farmboy0 overlay.
Then run:
emerge --ask --verbose kde-misc/corectrl

openSUSE
Install the corectrl package from OBS.

Ubuntu
Add the Ernst ppa-mesarc PPA.
Then run:
sudo apt install corectrl

Shmerl Aug 25, 2020
Do you see any benefits from overclocking?
Koopacabras Aug 25, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlDo you see any benefits from overclocking?

yep a slight increase not like polaris that the benefit was huge. I'll post some benchmarks later.
Koopacabras Aug 25, 2020
without OC

with OC

the gpu info is incorrect this is 5600 xt not a 5700 xt.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 25 August 2020 at 3:04 am UTC
Koopacabras Aug 25, 2020
If you look at the scores on the forum thread on the superposition benchmark, that's a few points behind a rtx 2060 with the exact same CPU better than Vega FE with a 1800x
so not bad for a card that I bought for less than 300 usd

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vTU1V6SoGz7-P_pQHbgydeCGYoSsif552-wn6R_EPNA/edit#gid=0

Last edited by Koopacabras on 25 August 2020 at 8:46 am UTC
Koopacabras Aug 25, 2020
why would anyone buy a Vega 64 for 500-600 usd if this card with overclock is just as good for half the price.
It's kind of crazy the Vega FE was 1000 usd at launch.

and this is probably one of the worst 5600 xt (gigabyte brand), a Sapphire or a MSI I think could easily beat the RTX 2060, this one is missing just a tad to beat it.
Also there's the fact that the Vulkan driver is much more competitive than the OpenGL driver on AMD, so imho if you take that into consideration this card is as good as the RTX 2060, that's what the phoronix benchmarks reflect, (some games this card is faster other games is the RTX 2060)

EDIT: now that I look closer that Vega FE is clearly underperforming, for some reason, this card has more alike performance to the Vega 56.

EDIT2: Maybe the fact that Card (VEGA FE) has 16GB of VRAM makes the card underperform, on this OpenGL benchmark.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 25 August 2020 at 8:45 am UTC
Xpander Aug 25, 2020
That RTX2060 bench might be a default one there also without any OC, so that can be also improved with some OC and better power limits. It ofc depends what card it is there. VRMs etc.
Koopacabras Aug 25, 2020
Quoting: XpanderThat RTX2060 bench might be a default one there also without any OC, so that can be also improved with some OC and better power limits. It ofc depends what card it is there. VRMs etc.
yes also I have slow 2400 mhz DDR4 memory if the memory is 3200 mhz might give some advantage. I want to buy a new 16gb kit but I would have to sell for cheap the one I have which would be such a waste.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 25 August 2020 at 9:42 pm UTC
Xpander Aug 26, 2020
in superposition it shouldnt matter. CPU perf really shouldn't make difference there, unless it something really old or has extreme throttling issues. superposition is just pure GPU bench and at the default bench settings it just pulls your GPU like crazy.
Koopacabras Aug 26, 2020
Then I suppose this gigabyte card is really bad because on the Phoronix Benchmarks the Sapphire 5600 xt is beating the 2060 rtx on Superposition. It wouldn't surprise me I already knew this was one of the worst 5600 xt out there, I just bought it because of the price, and because Gigabyte warranty is great here where I live, the repair shop is very near from where I live. I think that the WindForce and I don't know which other one are the worst, just look at this video https://youtu.be/PCi9c8KqpNk?t=185
Koopacabras Aug 26, 2020
but I think that on that video the Windforce is not running the updated improved VBIOS.

I still don't regret buying gigabyte I had two gigabyte cards before this and I wouldn't call them bad cards, they never failed on me, I like the Windforce fans, they are silent and cool, surprisingly the card that failed on me was a Sapphire card, the fans failed. But yeah performance is not great on gigabyte with amd.

EDIT: and I think that the XFX THIC is the worst of them all, I wouldn't recommend buying that one to anyone, since the problem with that card is the temperature, this card at least has average temperatures.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 26 August 2020 at 4:52 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.