Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Flattr, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Can anyone explain to me the state about Brutal Fate?

So the dev seems like a bad person or so but since I'm probably to dumb to find the Informations can anyone tell me quickly whats so bad? Still have it wishlisted but depending on the Infos i might delete it from my wishlist. Thanks in advance.

Samsai 7 Sep

Quoting: TimeFreezeSo the dev seems like a bad person or so but since I'm probably to dumb to find the Informations can anyone tell me quickly whats so bad? Still have it wishlisted but depending on the Infos i might delete it from my wishlist. Thanks in advance.
Liam and I have been investigating this for the past hour and a half or so. It seems that Sgt Mark IV (the Brutal Doom creator) had an edgy streak some years ago, putting some unsavoury jokes into game code, telling a suicidal person to kill themselves and apparently being otherwise a difficult person to deal with to such an extent that he got thrown out of multiple DOOM communities. The racist jokes and suicide thread we were able to verify on our own but some of the other accusations, like the accusations of being a neo-nazi and a holocaust denier, haven't been possible to substantiate.

Sgt Mark IV also responded to these accusations and takes blame for racist jokes and the suicide thing. You can see a concise response here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/114990-brutal-doom-creator-speaks-about-past-controversies/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-2144575

He mentions having apologized in both of those instances and mentions he's aimed to do better on both fronts after the incidents. So it could very well be a case of having done stupid things in the past that he's now reaping the consequences from. Liam and I made the initial call on what to do about the coverage after we verified the first few accusations but before we were aware of his response to those incidents. We are now aiming to bring an edited version of the article back with the relevant context.

Quoting: Samsai
Quoting: TimeFreezeSo the dev seems like a bad person or so but since I'm probably to dumb to find the Informations can anyone tell me quickly whats so bad? Still have it wishlisted but depending on the Infos i might delete it from my wishlist. Thanks in advance.
Liam and I have been investigating this for the past hour and a half or so. It seems that Sgt Mark IV (the Brutal Doom creator) had an edgy streak some years ago, putting some unsavoury jokes into game code, telling a suicidal person to kill themselves and apparently being otherwise a difficult person to deal with to such an extent that he got thrown out of multiple DOOM communities. The racist jokes and suicide thread we were able to verify on our own but some of the other accusations, like the accusations of being a neo-nazi and a holocaust denier, haven't been possible to substantiate.

Sgt Mark IV also responded to these accusations and takes blame for racist jokes and the suicide thing. You can see a concise response here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/114990-brutal-doom-creator-speaks-about-past-controversies/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-2144575

He mentions having apologized in both of those instances and mentions he's aimed to do better on both fronts after the incidents. So it could very well be a case of having done stupid things in the past that he's now reaping the consequences from. Liam and I made the initial call on what to do about the coverage after we verified the first few accusations but before we were aware of his response to those incidents. We are now aiming to bring an edited version of the article back with the relevant context.

Interesting, thanks!

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.