Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
A515-51G-5536 with problem GPU 940MX in linux mint
douglasfuma Sep 9, 2020
Hello, I have a notebook, aspire [![A515-51G-5536
with a 940MX][1]][1] geforce 2Gb card, I'm trying to install the graphics card on linux mint but I'm having difficulties,

I open the terminal and type nvidia-smi.

sometimes it appears below that there are processes in use on the video card, but where it is circled in blue it is OFF, wouldn't it have to be ON?

I already downloaded the steam, tried with a 390 driver and the 450, none of it works with the AGE OF EMPIRES II DEFINE EDITION, when I open it, it keeps crashing, with everything in the middle quality. I remember that on windows it used it all at maximum resolution.

please can someone explain step by step the commands from the beginning to fully activate the GPU card to play?

[1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/L5C1s.jpg
tuxintuxedo Sep 9, 2020
Fist of all, let's talk about the laptop. It should have an integrated Intel VGA as well. And I believe it should be able to run AOE 2, without the Nvidia one. So something is definitely off in your case. What system do you use (which Mint version)? Did you turn off secureboot in your BIOS?

Last edited by tuxintuxedo on 9 September 2020 at 8:48 pm UTC
douglasfuma Sep 9, 2020
Quoting: tuxintuxedoFist of all, let's talk about the laptop. It should have an integrated Intel VGA as well. And I believe it should be able to run AOE 2, without the Nvidia one. So something is definitely off in your case. What system do you use (which Mint version)? Did you turn off secureboot in your BIOS?

Yes has integrated video, secure boot from bios? what would it be in the case? because on windows 10 NVIDIA ran perfectly, it seems that the age of empires game is running only with the integrated card, even showing that the NVIDIA GPU is active.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.