Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
PC Config for friend.
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
TimeFreeze 19 Sep

So one of my friends pc died. Great. I made him a config but i'm not sure about the GPU. So i thought lets ask what you guys think:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Mainboard: MSI B550-A Pro, ATX
RAM: DDR4-3200 16GB
PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 500W
SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB
GPU: RX 580 or 5500XT

What do you guys think which GPU performs better? Already asked a few friends and everyone tells me i should pick the 5500XT. Also which Model would be recommended then? Like Saphire / XFX or how they all are named.

Also would the PSU be enough for that system?
Also any idea for an good CPU Cooler? Same goes for an Case? Got no idea there.

Thanks in advance for the help.

The_Aquabat 19 Sep

The 5500xt performs better but if you can get a 5600xt it's even better. The 5500xt is like a rx 590. And the 5600xt is like a vega56 and in some games like a vega 64.
The 5500xt is about 200usd in Amazon and you can find 5600xt for 259usd so not much difference really worth it those 60usd extra.

Last edited by The_Aquabat on 19 September 2020 at 11:25 am UTC

TimeFreeze 19 Sep

Quoting: The_AquabatThe 5500xt performs better but if you can get a 5600xt it's even better. The 5500xt is like a rx 590. And the 5600xt is like a vega56 and in some games like a vega 64.

Interesting good to know!

Yeah the 5600XT would be a bit better but first his budget is not that big. And secondly it seems the 5600XT has only 6GB while the 5500XT has 8GB. Any recommended model for the 5500XT?

The_Aquabat 19 Sep

Quoting: TimeFreezeAny recommended model for the 5500XT?
MSI Shappire or even ASUS are good. Don't get gigabyte or XFX. I don't know what to say about Asrock though some recommend it some don't.

for 1080p and even for 1440p 6gb of VRAM is fine.

Last edited by The_Aquabat on 19 September 2020 at 11:33 am UTC

tuubi 19 Sep

Quoting: The_Aquabat
MSI Shappire or even ASUS are good. Don't get gigabyte or XFX. I don't know what to say about Asrock though some recommend it some don't.
For what it's worth, I'd hesitate to recommend an MSI GPU based on my experience with the MSI RX 580 I bought a couple of years ago. It turned out to be an overheating, extremely noisy mess, and the RMA replacement I got (currently in my wife's computer) doesn't seem much better. Maybe I'm just unlucky with their hardware? Anyway, the Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT I'm running currently is solid, cool and quiet.

Mnoleg 19 Sep

Quoting: The_AquabatI don't know what to say about Asrock though some recommend it some don't.
I am sure those who recommend Asrock didn't enjoy a motherboard with the memorable Asrock Graphics Interface (AGI). That brand is at the top of my black list.

Last edited by Mnoleg on 19 September 2020 at 1:07 pm UTC

TobyGornow 19 Sep

Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: The_Aquabat
For what it's worth, I'd hesitate to recommend an MSI GPU based on my experience with the MSI RX 580 I bought a couple of years ago. It turned out to be an overheating, extremely noisy mess, and the RMA replacement I got (currently in my wife's computer) doesn't seem much better. Maybe I'm just unlucky with their hardware? Anyway, the Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT I'm running currently is solid, cool and quiet.

I'm sorry to hear about your faulty MSI hardware but I'm currently on my third MSI GPU (660 GTX, 970 GTX, 5700xt) and I never had a problem with them, so maybe it's really your luck.

Quoting: Mnoleg
Quoting: The_AquabatI don't know what to say about Asrock though some recommend it some don't.
I am sure those who recommend Asrock didn't enjoy a motherboard with the memorable Asrock Graphics Interface (AGI). That brand is at the top of my black list.

Feels the same, never again, my grief goes back to the Core2Duo era so maybe they improved. Never been let down by Asus, currently using an Aorus and so far so good...

Last edited by TobyGornow on 19 September 2020 at 1:15 pm UTC

tuubi 19 Sep

Quoting: TobyGornowI'm currently on my third MSI GPU (660 GTX, 970 GTX, 5700xt) and I never had a problem with them, so maybe it's really your luck.
Fair enough. Could have been my luck, or maybe that particular model didn't meet their usual quality standards. I'm still unlikely to ever buy anything from MSI based on my experience.

damarrin 19 Sep

Asrock is Asus so... you know.

TobyGornow 19 Sep

Quoting: damarrinAsrock is Asus so... you know.

As much as Dacia is Renault, Volkswagen is Audi, BMW is Rolls-Royce...

tuubi 19 Sep

Quoting: damarrinAsrock is Asus so... you know.
They were both originally split from the same company, but that's pretty much it. Not much to do with their current hardware.

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.