You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
PC Config for friend.
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
buono 19 Sep

I as sure this is all highly subjective and we all have our stories to tell but personally I first look at asus msi asrock and for graphics cards sappire - I wont touch gigabyte now but I have probably just been unlucky.

I then check a few reviews see what their cooling solutions are like for performance, fan noise and coil whine.

The_Aquabat 19 Sep

Gigabyte is fine, just not for graphics cards, but they also release buggy bioses for Linux. I have a B350 and IOMMU is broken since always. 3 Years has passed since release and they can't fix it? I think my next mobo will be an Asus or MSI (I read that MSI has the best Ryzen bioses)
I had a sapphire GPU before and just by looking at it you can tell that Sapphire cards have much better build quality.

Also I think that if you are on a tight budget like the timefreeze says, I will still get gigabyte, gigabyte and MSI tend to be the ones that have more stock in stores, so they are the cheaper ones, it's not that bad imho. But be prepared to deal with some issues, in GPUs their performance is not the best, on motherboard they release buggy bioses.

I was on a tight budget and I got a gigabyte 5600xt but performance lags a little compared to others but I knew that beforehand. so no surprise. Also I had a rx 460 that the fan got stuck/broken and had to replace it, I'm going to be more careful this time and clean the heatsink from time to time. On sapphire cards it's easier to clean them just remove one screw and pull the fan that's all.

And I said this before but the repair shop from gigabyte here is very close to home, so any problem I have I just can have the hardware repaired in a breeze, and they give 3 years warranty, so no that bad, if you know beforehand what you are dealing with.

But I think compared to other brands it's just mediocre, but I think nowadays is more even, now I think there is no brand you can call it poor quality... ASrock used to be really bad using cheap components but I think they have improved. The old days of the PCChips mobos are gone (darn those really were bad quality )

Last edited by The_Aquabat on 19 September 2020 at 5:49 pm UTC

CatKiller 19 Sep

Quoting: TimeFreezeAlso any idea for an good CPU Cooler? Same goes for an Case? Got no idea there.

The HSF that comes with the Ryzens is decent, but not spectacular. Particularly if the budget is tight I'd recommend using that for a while (and potentially tweaking the fan curve in the UEFI). If it turns out later that it's too loud or doesn't cool enough for their tastes, they can save up for something better then; Noctua and be quiet both sell very effective, very quiet HSFs.

Cases are almost entirely subjective. Extremely cheap ones often demand a blood sacrifice whenever you need to venture inside, so I'd avoid those, but the other constraints - size, cooling/noise, windows, RGB - are dependent on your own needs and preferences. Any ATX motherboard will fit in any ATX case, so there's no compatibility issue to worry about, as such.

It's worth checking that the RAM you're planning on getting is on the QVL of the motherboard you're planning on getting; that's a list of RAM modules that have been tested with the motherboard to show that they work as they should. Other modules may work, but they haven't been tested.

CatKiller 19 Sep

Quoting: TimeFreezeWhat do you guys think which GPU performs better?

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=march-2020-gaming&num=1

damarrin 19 Sep

Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: damarrinAsrock is Asus so... you know.
They were both originally split from the same company, but that's pretty much it. Not much to do with their current hardware.

Well, there’s certainly no AGI there anymore. Besides, looking at Wikipedia, it was an interesting solution to a problem from some 20 years ago, so why are we talking about it right now?

Last edited by damarrin on 19 September 2020 at 8:45 pm UTC

Vinouch 20 Sep

Other way, it's to get the price by performance by check the site bellow:
Check the columns Price and G3Dmark which is a performance score. Then use the price maximum you want to buy, for example, if you want to spend 135$ maximum, then currently, the RX 570 is the best choice. If yo want to spend 270$, then the RX 5600 XT is the best.
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

Last edited by Vinouch on 20 September 2020 at 11:58 am UTC

Shmerl 22 Sep

For custom AMD cards I recommend Sapphire. They make one of the best designs.

Last edited by Shmerl on 22 September 2020 at 4:09 am UTC

mos 22 Sep

Quoting: TimeFreeze5600XT has only 6GB while the 5500XT has 8GB
Didn't one of Michael's tests some time ago showed that 8GB made precisely ZARRO difference?

Mnoleg 22 Sep

Quoting: damarrinWell, there’s certainly no AGI there anymore. Besides, looking at Wikipedia, it was an interesting solution to a problem from some 20 years ago, so why are we talking about it right now?
Maybe AGI was an interesting solution for Windows users, but Asrock didn't test or support Linux and the result was a terrible, terrible user experience with every distribution crashing on boot and many incompatible GPUs.

If Asrock is a company that despises standards and Linux there's no reason to recommend it to a friend. This is just my opinion but the AGI fiasco was a fact, this is just a sample.

The_Aquabat 22 Sep

Asrock sure did some weird stuff I had a motherboard that had both AGP and PCI express support for GPUs.

they also had motherboards that have ATA and SATA, but that was more common other manufactures did the same.

btw it was an awful motherboard I replaced by some ASUS motherboard which was waayy better.

Last edited by The_Aquabat on 22 September 2020 at 7:46 pm UTC

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
Latest Forum Posts