You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
PC Config for friend.
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
damarrin 22 Sep

A bug from 2009 about a chipset from 2004, shows how current the problem is and how relevant it was for Linux users even back then.

No mobo company supported Linux in 2004 and no mobo company supports it now. How many list Linux compatibility on their website? As far as I can tell not MSI, not Gigabyte, or Asus or Asrock. Each of these companies bring out hardware that’s more or less incompatible with Linux because they test only with Windows. What point exactly are you trying to make? From what you’ve written you hate Asrock because reasons. Fair enough, but they’re no better or worse than the others.

Edit: @ Mnoleg

Last edited by damarrin on 22 September 2020 at 7:39 pm UTC

Dragunov 30 Sep

I picked up a Sapphire Pulse RX580 8gb recently and I highly recommend it. Worked out of the box on Linux Mint 19 and performs wonderfully. This card is very Quiet as well.

The_Aquabat 30 Sep

Quoting: damarrinHow many list Linux compatibility on their website? As far as I can tell not MSI, not Gigabyte, or Asus or Asrock.

well my 5600xt does explicitly support linux it's on the box. (it's a gigabyte)

https://i.imgur.com/Auysq0q.jpeg

I remember that at some point there was amd drivers on gigabyte support site, and they mentioned what kernel you needed to use. Like 10-15 years ago Gigabyte was doing a lot of advertising on phoronix.com, that's one of the reasons while their quality not being the best I still buy them. I mean like 10 or 15 years ago no manufacturer of consumer/desktop hardware was willing to advertise on a linux site (only enterprise/server hardware were willing to advertise), it caused an impression on me that has stick through the years.

Last edited by The_Aquabat on 30 September 2020 at 6:21 am UTC

damarrin 30 Sep

Hah, that’s cool. As I was looking for a mobo a few months ago I didn’t see Linux support on a single website. I don’t remember if I looked at Gigabyte though.

Last edited by damarrin on 30 September 2020 at 7:10 am UTC

The_Aquabat 30 Sep

Quoting: damarrinHah, that’s cool. As I was looking for a mobo a few months ago I didn’t see Linux support on a single website. I don’t remember if I looked at Gigabyte though.
I used to have this mother also they also mention Linux at the bottom https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-UD3-rev-10-11/sp#sp

at least there's a small mention while they don't support it "officially".

it seems it's something standard for all motherboards the AM4 B550 also has this remark
QuoteDue to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party website.

at least they know we exist lol

but my B350 box doesn't mention linux nor the manual.

Last edited by The_Aquabat on 30 September 2020 at 9:32 am UTC

The_Aquabat 30 Sep

Aha this is the web page I was talking about it's old "Ready For Linux"

I knew they had a linux support initiative in the past.

https://www.gigabyte.com/se/microsite/121/tech_20050812_linux.htm

see? as I was saying.... 2005 who was explicitly stating Linux support at that time? no one.

Last edited by The_Aquabat on 30 September 2020 at 10:00 am UTC

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
Latest Forum Posts