Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Win XP code could have been leaked
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Dedale 25 Sep

Note the conditional.

If that were true, wouldn't it complicate things for WINE developers ? If the code is public, Microsoft can allege a copyright infringement and the WINE devs must prove their code is a clean room implementation and has not been reverse engineered ?

Last edited by Dedale on 25 September 2020 at 5:01 pm UTC

tuubi 25 Sep

Quoting: DedaleNote the conditional.

If that were true, wouldn't it complicate things for WINE developers ? If the code is public, Microsoft can allege a copyright infringement and the WINE devs must prove their code is a clean room implementation and has not been reverse engineered ?
I don't think it works like that. MS would need some actual proof beyond "it could have been possible". Like examples of non-obvious snippets of code that have clearly been lifted from the proprietary Win XP codebase.

Cyril 25 Sep

It's funny enough to see that Microsoft wouldn't release the source code of a OS old of 19 years, and have to be leaked...

whizse 25 Sep
  • Supporter

Much of the source code for Windows 2000 and NT leaked back in 2004 so I doubt it will have much of an impact.

(But it goes without saying that you shouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole...)

The_Aquabat 26 Sep

apparently several experts confirm that leak is real but it's yet to be confirmed if the whole system can be compiled.
it would be really funny if you could compile whole Windows XP with mingw compiler maybe I can pass "zenver" flags to the compiler lol

oh boy this is a real mess, they found root signing keys for microsoft certificates.

Last edited by The_Aquabat on 26 September 2020 at 12:48 am UTC

Vinouch 26 Sep

Could you please share a reliable source of this news?

The_Aquabat 29 Sep

someone inspected the code on youtube, and guess what? there is GNU software in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zElT9Kre7Dc

Dragunov 30 Sep

I don't see anything wrong with dinosaur code being leaked. Its better to be archived on the internet than being lost forever.
Man, I loved Windows XP. I used it for probably a decade before switching over to Linux.

slaapliedje 30 Sep

Quoting: DragunovI don't see anything wrong with dinosaur code being leaked. Its better to be archived on the internet than being lost forever.
Man, I loved Windows XP. I used it for probably a decade before switching over to Linux.
I never liked XP, always thought they hired Fisher Price design artists to work on the theme.

Then again I grew up using GEM on the Atari ST, the Amiga Workbench and then finally Windows 9x. So tended to prefer the less than colorful desktop UIs.

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams