Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Win XP code could have been leaked
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
scaine 4 Oct

XP was the last Windows version where you could get to things quite quickly. Network properties, device manager, etc. Then everything became buried by a thousand clicks, or worse, replicated between multiple panels, thanks to the dreaded Windows 8 debacle.

XP also suffered from the first real muscle flex of the registry. Up until then, it was just a kind of .ini file database. But from XP (probably Win2K) onward, they started integrating core O/S values there. What a mess.

Everything they do turns to shit. It's baffling.

Windows xp had good UI design IMO, but the security was like a gruyere cheese. remember ActiveX? geez.

robvv 5 Oct

Quoting: VinouchCould you please share a reliable source of this news?

There's plenty here. Follow the onion and you will find a git repo and some magnet links.

I still have a machine with Windows xp SP3 on it..

Quoting: The_AquabatWindows xp had good UI design IMO, but the security was like a gruyere cheese. remember ActiveX? geez.
Fisher Price UI. :p

Dedale 5 Oct

Quoting: slaapliedje
Quoting: The_AquabatWindows xp had good UI design IMO, but the security was like a gruyere cheese. remember ActiveX? geez.

You could set it to "normal" UI which looked like WIN95.

robvv 5 Oct

Quoting: Dedale

That's what I used to do: convert everything back to the Win95 theme, install Powertools and turn off all those irritating 'features'!

Quoting: robvv
Quoting: Dedale

That's what I used to do: convert everything back to the Win95 theme, install Powertools and turn off all those irritating 'features'!
Yeah, that is pretty much what all the knowledgeable people did, though if I recall some of that ability came later. It is the same reason why so many did the same in Win8.

Quoting: slaapliedjeYeah, that is pretty much what all the knowledgeable people did, though if I recall some of that ability came later. It is the same reason why so many did the same in Win8.

well you could patch the system theming files and use unofficial themes.

Quoting: The_Aquabat
Quoting: slaapliedjeYeah, that is pretty much what all the knowledgeable people did, though if I recall some of that ability came later. It is the same reason why so many did the same in Win8.

well you could patch the system theming files and use unofficial themes.
That's right and it spawned the winstyles site. Meanwhile I was already happily theming Linux.

Even macOS had to have a third party app to theme... and then an update killed that off. I understand brand recognition... but come on let people change more than colors! It was what actually got me started in Linux. I thought Win9x was f'ugly, was used to seeing MagicWB and MUI on the Amiga, and then discovered Enlightenment, and the rest was history.

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
Latest Forum Posts