Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
No Man's Sky not starting in VR now
Patola 9 Oct

Hi, anyone else here is able to start No Man's Sky in VR mode?

My headset was three weeks in RMA and in practice I went for a month and a half without playing the game in VR, and currently it asks if I want to start it in VR mode and everything (as before), shows as loading with the thumbnail in the headset, but instead of appearing in the headset only appears on my monitor, and of course the Index controls do not respond either.

All my other games work perfectly in VR, from Alyx to Euro Truck Simulator 2.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling (even manually removing the 275850 compatdata directory) to no avail, tried adding -HmdEnable 1 to launch properties, nothing seems to work. I launched it from SteamVR Home, no dice.

From steam-275850.log openvr_api.dll seems correctly loaded as native. Can't find anything else of interest in those logs.

Launched steam from console to see if anything shows up about that, nothing.

I think I am out of options, anything I should try to get it to work on VR? I even tried the experimental beta branch since it has a few VR fixes, and nothing.

Last edited by Patola on 9 October 2020 at 8:36 am UTC

Patola 9 Oct

So, Kisak just found out that the "line of interest" in my report is this one: "err:vrclient:create_win_interface Don't recognize interface name: IVRSystem_022". Now let's see what I can do with that...

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/438#issuecomment-706256407

Julius 9 Oct

Ah, that would explain why I couldn't get it to run despite claims otherwise on ProtonDB

jens 10 Oct

The Proton vrclient that is currently pushed to github does indeed contains IVCRSystem only up to version 021. See https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/tree/proton_5.0/vrclient_x64/vrclient_x64

Adding version 022 should be doable, lets hope that it will be included in an upcoming Proton update.

Patola 14 Oct

Quoting: jensThe Proton vrclient that is currently pushed to github does indeed contains IVCRSystem only up to version 021. See https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/tree/proton_5.0/vrclient_x64/vrclient_x64

Adding version 022 should be doable, lets hope that it will be included in an upcoming Proton update.

Yes, that's what Andrew Aikum said in the bug report. An upcoming update of Proton will have the fix. I tried to do it for myself and failed miserably... :-)

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.

Latest Forum Posts