Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
STEAM_RUNTIME is disabled by the user ?
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Tchey Oct 20, 2020
Erf, my Steamapps folder is around 260 Giga.
I have around 50 Giga left on my disks.

As a "tester" often more than a "player", i kind of need many installed games at once.

Hmmm...

Can’t i delete everything "around" the steamapps folder, while keeping it intact  ?
Koopacabras Oct 20, 2020
Quoting: TcheyErf, my Steamapps folder is around 260 Giga.
I have around 50 Giga left on my disks.

As a "tester" often more than a "player", i kind of need many installed games at once.

Hmmm...

Can’t i delete everything "around" the steamapps folder, while keeping it intact  ?

try completely removing steam-runtime dir from the same folder in ~/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32 and in ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32

steam --reset

and launching again.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 20 October 2020 at 7:08 pm UTC
Tchey Oct 20, 2020
Hm, something new now, with a popup window asking if i run low on disk space as well as console message, but i have space. Not 260 giga, but a few dozen giga still.

[tchey@ordimanj ~]$ steam

Running Steam on manjarolinux 20.1.2 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Unpack runtime failed, error code 1
Error: Couldn't set up the Steam Runtime. Are you running low on disk space?
Continuing...
Can't find 'steam-runtime-check-requirements', continuing anyway
/home/tchey/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam

[tchey@ordimanj ~]$ steam --reset

mv: cannot stat '/home/tchey/.steam/registry.vdf': No such file or directory
Installing bootstrap /home/tchey/.local/share/Steam/bootstrap.tar.xz
Reset complete!

[tchey@ordimanj ~]$ steam

Running Steam on manjarolinux 20.1.2 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Pins potentially out-of-date, rebuilding...
Can't find 'steam-runtime-check-requirements', continuing anyway
/home/tchey/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam
[tchey@ordimanj ~]$ 

Last edited by Tchey on 20 October 2020 at 7:23 pm UTC
Koopacabras Oct 21, 2020
I'm out of ideas really, did you search over arch bugs??

You could try running the flatpak version of steam in the meantime.

you need to install flatpak 1st

btw I don't use Arch :P

normally it would be "sudo pacman -S flatpak"

(but I'm not sure because I don't use arch btw :P )
then

flatpak install flathub com.valvesoftware.Steam

add the home directory so flatpak can see it

flatpak override com.valvesoftware.Steam --filesystem=/home/$USER

then launch it.

flatpak run com.valvesoftware.Steam

optional make it use the same cursor (you have to have the icon cursors installed in the home folder)

flatpak --user override com.valvesoftware.Steam --filesystem=/home/$USER/.icons/:ro

then you would have to open the steam settings and add the directory to the Library Folders where you normally install you steam games.
that would normally be ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps

Steam should pick up the games you have installed.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 21 October 2020 at 2:05 am UTC
Tchey Oct 21, 2020
I’ve installed Steam Flatpak, i can launch Steam, and now a new problem arises...

Steam doesn’t see the installed games. The path seems good, my games data are still there, but according to Steam, the folder is empty of games, and shows correct empty size.

I tried to point to the path i see my games, but "Folder must be empty".

I tried to create a new Library folder, i can install games in both folder, but the the new folder is invisible, not hidden just not showing at all in the list of folders. So i cannot move games from folder 1 to folder 2.

Weird stuff happens...

(edit : the folder is "wrong", it’s not my "real" Home. Don’t know how to fix that.

(edit 2 : OK that’s because flatpak is inside its own world, so i need to cheat it to show my folder, but not sure how
I’ve found some things, like https://davejansen.com/give-full-filesystem-access-to-flatpak-installed-applications/ but i don’t know how to do it for my Steam games folder.

Also, using Flatpak is not the solution to my initial issue, and i can’t find on internet something i can understand.

(edit 3 : so, i think i managed to use my games via flatpak, with
[tchey@ordimanj ~]$ flatpak override --user --filesystem=~/.local/share/Steam/
[tchey@ordimanj ~]$ flatpak run com.valvesoftware.Steam

(edit 4 : aaaand... it seems i cannot launch any game via proton, only native ones.

Last edited by Tchey on 21 October 2020 at 7:10 am UTC
Koopacabras Oct 21, 2020
Quoting: Tchey(edit 3 : so, i think i managed to use my games via flatpak, with
[tchey@ordimanj ~]$ flatpak override --user --filesystem=~/.local/share/Steam/
[tchey@ordimanj ~]$ flatpak run com.valvesoftware.Steam

(edit 4 : aaaand... it seems i cannot launch any game via proton, only native ones.

sorry for that one I was pointing the override incorrectly.... But last time I checked on steam flatpak proton should work as normal. Do you have the checkbox "enable steam play for all titles" on. Also "enable steam play for supported titles" in settings under the Steam Play submenu.

Quoting: TcheyAlso, using Flatpak is not the solution to my initial issue, and i can’t find on internet something i can understand.
in the meantime if an update broke your system, maybe another one fixes it, for now you can use flatpak in my experience it works the same way if you set the correct overrides.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 21 October 2020 at 8:02 am UTC
Tchey Oct 21, 2020
Quoting: The_Aquabatsteam flatpak proton should work as normal. Do you have the checkbox

Yep yep, all good but when i click play, Steam installs (or seems to) Proton and its friends, showing the window "launch when ready". And... that’s all. Nothing after that. If i close everything and restart, i hit Play, and nothing, just the button Play is grey for 1 sec and back to green Play. No message, nothing. Tried with several Proton games i played just before all this mess happened, same result.

Native games, no issue, click and play.
Koopacabras Oct 21, 2020
Quoting: TcheyAnd... that’s all. Nothing after that. If i close everything and restart, i hit Play, and nothing, just the button Play is grey for 1 sec and back to green Play. No message, nothing.
then I think you are missing some libraries. Do you use nvidia? do you have the 32 bit version of the driver installed? are all the 32 bit libraries needed by steam installed? I don't use Arch you should ask someone that does over the arch or manjaro forums. Maybe accidentaly some update removed some libraries needed by steam. Maybe this and the other problem have the same root.
(see if you have library problems flatpak can help with most of them but not all)

If you launch steam flatpak through a console maybe it throws some hint.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 21 October 2020 at 8:14 am UTC
Tchey Oct 21, 2020
When i want to browse local files, Steam Flatpak doesn’t open anything, for native and proton games alike.
If i check integrity of local files, it seems to be checking something anyway.
Tried to change Proton version, but no change.

Example i see this when i click Play on the Proton game "Wizard Warfare" :

ln: failed to create symbolic link '/run/user/1000/SteamLinuxRuntime.fe58e2e8ac883b85/socket' -> '': No such file or directory
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/tchey/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognomeproxy.so: undefined symbol: g_task_new
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognomeproxy.so
>>> Adding process 919 for game ID 1056350
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so: undefined symbol: g_task_get_source_tag
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so: undefined symbol: g_task_set_task_data
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/tchey/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognomeproxy.so: undefined symbol: g_task_new
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognomeproxy.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so: undefined symbol: g_task_get_source_tag
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so: undefined symbol: g_task_set_task_data
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so
pressure-vessel-launch[939]: Can't connect to peer socket: Could not connect: No such file or directory
>>> Adding process 938 for game ID 1056350
Game removed: AppID 1056350 "", ProcID 893 
Uploaded AppInterfaceStats to Steam
>>> Adding process 939 for game ID 1056350
Exiting app 1056350
No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.
Koopacabras Oct 21, 2020
Quoting: Tchey/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so: undefined symbol: g_task_get_source_tag
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gio/modules/libgiognutls.so

that library is too old or to new, more likely too new since Manjaro is rolling release, you should report that bug at Manjaro.

or that's within the flatpak container? not sure.

You could try using the beta flatpak of steam

flatpak remote-add --user flathub-beta https://flathub.org/beta-repo/flathub-beta.flatpakrepo

flatpak update --appstream

flatpak install --user flathub-beta com.valvesoftware.Steam//beta

flatpak run com.valvesoftware.Steam//beta

you might need to repeat the process of overriding the filesystems again on flatpak this time using " com.valvesoftware.Steam//beta " instead.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 21 October 2020 at 10:07 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.