You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
annotating videos
dvd Oct 20, 2020
I'm trying to add tags to the timeline in my videos (something that would work like the timeline in youtube, where the creator can break it up to named parts you can see when you hover the mouse over it) but I'm not very certain what the correct terminology is for it in english. For those who edit videos, do you know which programs are capable of this?
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
Liam Dawe Oct 20, 2020
Hey, on YouTube you just need to ensure you add the timestamps in the description starting with 00:00.
dvd Nov 9, 2020
Quoting: Liam DaweHey, on YouTube you just need to ensure you add the timestamps in the description starting with 00:00.

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear, i want to do this with normal video files. I've seen some that have the end point of the intro sequence marked (although not annotated), but i have no clue which software or format is capable of doing that.
tuubi Nov 9, 2020
Quoting: dvd
Quoting: Liam DaweHey, on YouTube you just need to ensure you add the timestamps in the description starting with 00:00.

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear, i want to do this with normal video files. I've seen some that have the end point of the intro sequence marked (although not annotated), but i have no clue which software or format is capable of doing that.
I'm still not quite certain what you mean, but if it's chapters (named timestamps) you're looking for, this largely depends on the video format. For MKV files you can do this with the Chapters tool in MKVToolnix (GUI), and for other formats ffmpeg can probably help you edit the metadata. No idea about gui support.
dvd Nov 9, 2020
Thanks, that's what i was looking for, and it's perfect as i usually use mkv container anyway
Duck Hunt-Pr0 Nov 9, 2020
Could Gnome Subtitles perhaps do what you're after? Then 'baking' them into the video or container with e.g ffmpeg ?

Though, if you mean interactive annotating, perhaps LibreOffice Impress got some nifty functions for that?

(note: I've only used the former, and never even tried Impress)

https://www.libreofficehelp.com/insert-video-impress-presentation/

Last edited by Duck Hunt-Pr0 on 9 November 2020 at 7:31 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.