Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Is Desperados III a OpenGL or Vulkan game?
Page: «3/5»
  Go to:
whizse Nov 9, 2020
Quoting: x_wingStill, as it isn't a graphic corruption I'm not sure if the trace will be useful.
I haven't actually used it like that myself, but apitrace does support profiling. So I think it's possible to figure out which particular frames/calls are taking so long.

(If the problem is reproducible with the trace on similar hardware of course!)

Quoting: The_Aquabatthis on 1080p on Ultra downscaled to make the video lighter, but setting graphics details to medium doesn't seem to make much difference anyway.
Usually what I do is turn everything to low/off and see if I can reproduce the problem. If it's fine I turn the settings back one by one to see what causes the slowdown. Might be worth a shot.
Koopacabras Nov 9, 2020
QuoteUsually what I do is turn everything to low/off and see if I can reproduce the problem. If it's fine I turn the settings back one by one to see what causes the slowdown. Might be worth a shot.

if I turn everything to the lowest settings instead of getting 20fps when moving around the camera, I'll get 30-35 fps, it does improve, but this game with my hardware should achieve much much more. As I said with the amdgpu pro driver from amd.com, I get steady 80fps at ultra.

Apparently there is no "magic" setting that will turn performance back to normal.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 9 November 2020 at 11:25 pm UTC
x_wing Nov 10, 2020
Quoting: The_Aquabat@x_wing does this happens on your hardware?

Nop, the stuttering I mentioned is far away from the performance you have in your system. Something weird I noticed is that your GPU is not at a 100%... I'll try to reload the same scenario and check if something changed (I recall playing that scenario before latest patches, so maybe there was a change that broke something).
x_wing Nov 10, 2020
Sorry for the bad quality of the video (there is some kind of interlacing... I may have some wrong setup in OBS)

https://youtu.be/v4iG-WZrQPA

Worth mention: I'm using a locally compiled Mesa 20.2.1 with llvm 10.0.0 (the latter is the default llvm version in Ubuntu).
Koopacabras Nov 10, 2020
Quoting: x_wingSorry for the bad quality of the video (there is some kind of interlacing... I may have some wrong setup in OBS)

Worth mention: I'm using a locally compiled Mesa 20.2.1 with llvm 10.0.0 (the latter is the default llvm version in Ubuntu).

Great at least we know now the bug is probably on Navi hardware (unless there is something wrong with my setup)
Koopacabras Nov 10, 2020
the last thing it occurred to me is trying with ubuntu mainline kernel, because I use some out of tree patches, but bug is still there.
Avehicle7887 Nov 10, 2020
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: Avehicle7887export __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_PATH="/home/user/my_custom_cache_folder"

That's an nvidia blob only environment variable. Just in case anyone was wondering. It won't work with Mesa.

Oops.

I definitely meant: export MESA_GLSL_CACHE_DIR="/home/user/my_custom_cache_folder"

-------------
Quoting: x_wingSorry for the bad quality of the video (there is some kind of interlacing... I may have some wrong setup in OBS)

In your video I see "Mesa driver selector", may I ask where you got that from? :)

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 10 November 2020 at 11:04 am UTC
x_wing Nov 10, 2020
Quoting: Avehicle7887In your video I see "Mesa driver selector", may I ask where you got that from? :)

Is a scripted UI that I created in order to simplify the selection of the Mesa version I build (I don't like to do a system wide installation). The script simply searchs in a directory for subfolders with a environment initialization script that setups Mesa drivers (each directory is the install prefix of my builds and the subfolder name is the name displayed in the UI list).

If you're interested, I can share the code. But I'm not sure how useful it will be if you don't compile Mesa in your system or unpack Mesa libraries in a specific directory with the required script.

P.S: This script also setups vulkan drivers and is able to setup AMDGPU-PRO vulkan drivers. I tried to find the way to setup AMDGPU-PRO OpenGL drivers (something that would be a great workaround for The_Aquabat) but I always end up with a crash during the OpenGL environment initialization. If someone knows a workaround, I'm all ears :)

Last edited by x_wing on 10 November 2020 at 1:58 pm UTC
PlayX Nov 11, 2020
Desperados 3 uses OpenGl and has no good performance.

I have round about 70fps with native OpenGL
But 120fps with Proton (Vulkan)
I bet native Vulkan could reach the same or more.

Yes OpenGL is enough for playing with 60fps. But it could have been better with Vulkan.
Koopacabras Nov 12, 2020
sorry off topic but browsers really dislike the amdgpu pro driver I'm hitting this bug https://community.amd.com/thread/256511

firefox crashes, palemoon crash chromium crashes, only microsoft edge doesn't crash.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.