Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Monitor refresh rates - a call for feedback
Page: 1/4»
  Go to:
Liam Dawe Nov 7, 2020
Hi all, I'm going to be adding a monitor refresh rate question to our PC Info stats system.

I currently have these:
'50Hz','60Hz', '75Hz', '120Hz', '144Hz', '240Hz'

Are any common / used refresh rates missing? Those are all the usual I could find.
CatKiller Nov 7, 2020
Do FreeSync/G-Sync monitors have a nominal refresh rate, or is it simply a range? If they don't have a refresh rate then they should get their own option.
Liam Dawe Nov 7, 2020
So "VRR" as an option then? (Variable refresh rate). Would that suffice?
Anarus Nov 7, 2020
I've seen some odd rates like 165Hz and 100Hz, but these appear to be somewhat rare.
Quoting: Liam DaweSo "VRR" as an option then? (Variable refresh rate). Would that suffice?
As there is still a difference of the maximal (and likely average) refresh rate, it would perhaps be better as an additional checkbox?

Last edited by Anarus on 7 November 2020 at 1:17 pm UTC
CatKiller Nov 7, 2020
Quoting: Liam DaweSo "VRR" as an option then? (Variable refresh rate). Would that suffice?
That's the kind of thing I was thinking of, but only if they wouldn't be seen to have a "natural" refresh rate. I don't have any personal experience of using them.
Liam Dawe Nov 7, 2020
Hmm, this is a tricky one. Maybe just as an additional "do you have a variable refresh rate?" option then.
Xpander Nov 7, 2020
165hz is not rare at all, many earlier G-sync monitors used to have it.

there are few more odd ones like 180hz and 200hz and ofc the 360hz monsters

so i would go with

'50Hz', '60Hz', '75Hz', '90Hz', '100Hz', '120Hz', '144Hz', '165Hz', '180Hz', '200Hz', '240Hz', '360Hz'
Anarus Nov 7, 2020
Quoting: CatKillerDo FreeSync/G-Sync monitors have a nominal refresh rate, or is it simply a range?
Indeed they do, and if they receive frames slower than this rate then they wait until they receive the next frame and display that immediately after. Some have a minimum range where, if the rate of images sent from the GPU is too slow, they will behave as an ordinary fixed-rate monitor and display the same frame multiple times.
Ehvis Nov 7, 2020
Quoting: Liam DaweHmm, this is a tricky one. Maybe just as an additional "do you have a variable refresh rate?" option then.

Should do it. Might even word it as "use" instead of just have since it seems a lot of people don't use it even though they have it. As someone who will not accept gaming without gsync, I also know there are plenty of DEs that simply don't support it due to having a bad compositor.

There is always a refresh rate to the mode though. That would be the maximum (or in case of bad freesync monitors, the fallback when it switches off due to fps being to low).

Do make sure your question is clear though. I have a 100 Hz GSYNC monitor, but 99% of the time I'm on a 60 Hz mode. This is due to higher modes using the overdrive feature, which isn't really that good for picture quality.
Liam Dawe Nov 7, 2020
Okay so.

"What is your monitor refresh rate?" -> '50Hz', '60Hz', '75Hz', '90Hz', '100Hz', '120Hz', '144Hz', '165Hz', '180Hz', '200Hz', '240Hz', '360Hz'

"Do you use VRR (Variable refresh rate)?" -> 'Yes', 'No'.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 7 November 2020 at 2:56 pm UTC
Xpander Nov 7, 2020
yeah looks ok.. maybe
"Do you use VRR (Variable refresh rate)?" -> 'Yes', 'No', 'Sometimes'.

cause for example i use it super rarely. 2 reasons, i dont actually like the feeling of refresh rate changing with the FPS in game... makes it feel odd, specially in racing games.... and secondly... i have to turn of one of my monitors to have it :(
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.