Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Page: «5/5
  Go to:
LordDaveTheKind Jan 12, 2021
Quoting: GuestVPN wasn't a problem with AC Odyssey and Farcry 5 at all. Wonder if they ban someone tinkering with Lutris/DXVK/Wine a bit too much because I had that message some time earlier trying to get AC:Odyssey working. I can still launch and play other uplay games with no fuss at all, so CAs or that vpn shouldn't a be a problem either. I dunno, guess AMD user still have to wait for further development/integration of RADV/DXVK/VKD3D.

Verifying the installation files in Ubisoft Connect has solved that same error message for a few users. Have you already tried it?
libgradev Jan 12, 2021
Quoting: GuestAnd if I launch UbisoftConnect and afterwards ACV within, I get the error "Unable to start the game. The game cannot be activated now. Try again later."

If you've got the Windows version set to 10 in winecfg try changing it to 7...
LordDaveTheKind Jan 13, 2021
Quoting: GuestWell now, the game starts up to main menu. But neither benchmark nor loading a savegame works. Screen goes black, the game doesn't respond anymore and after a short time even the linux desktop freezes so I have to hard reset. Very strange.
Strange because I still see the loading screen with Eivor standing in the water. I can move and interact in this situation but when it fades black into the game that's when the crash happens.
Settings:
- lutris-6.0-rc1-x86_64
- esync on
- fsync off
- d3d11.dll and d3d12.dll (compiled yesterday from vkd3d-proton-git) copied to a new dxvk package under /runtime/dxvk/dxvk12/
- winecfg: d3d11 and d3d12 set to native, builtin

you probably have to provide some trace information to the issue discussion on github:
https://github.com/HansKristian-Work/vkd3d-proton/issues/409
libgradev Jan 13, 2021
Quoting: GuestHoly cr*p! @libgradev That's it! Changing winecfg from Windows 10 to 7 makes ACV launch to main menu. Can't believe it... Performance is no good, but I guess different settings in Lutris may change that. Thanks a lot for your support, both of you!

You're welcome, tripped across this getting Immortals: FR running over the holidays
LordDaveTheKind Feb 12, 2021
Quoting: GuestHoly cr*p! @libgradev That's it! Changing winecfg from Windows 10 to 7 makes ACV launch to main menu. Can't believe it... Performance is no good, but I guess different settings in Lutris may change that. Thanks a lot for your support, both of you!

And I did break it yesterday night. After replacing the NVIDIA GPU with an AMD one... It will be fun to start back again from scratch.
abnocchinwads Feb 28, 2021
So I got it to work through lutris (esync and fsync are off), using the oibaf ppa for my mesa drivers, and installing the latest dxvk from doitsujin and latest vkd3d from HansKristian-Works into the ubisoft-connect wineprefix. The game runs beautifully with my RX5700XT on very high settings, but there are a couple of graphics issues that occur on medium to max settings (I haven't tested on anything lower yet): The river isn't visible unless you dive under the surface, you can swim at the surface or walk in the shallows but you will see no visual representation of the water. Also there's a weird meshlike image where the foliage is, no matter how low you have the density set. I'd be happy to provide images but I have no idea how to on this post. So good news, it definitely works on linux now, just depends if swimming in an invisible river is a deal-breaker.
EDIT: Forgot to mention, when you dive under the water it looks exactly the same as it does on windows, the second you break the surface again it becomes invisible again

Last edited by abnocchinwads on 28 February 2021 at 9:49 pm UTC
devland May 7, 2021
I'm still seeing blocky edges around parts of the terrain. Did anyone manage to render the game properly on AMD GPUs?
devland Jun 11, 2021
The new 21.1 mesa drivers have fixed the blocky terrain edges for me on manjaro. :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.