Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Mic in Overwatch broken after update to Fedora 33
calvin Nov 16, 2020
After I upgraded from Fedora 32 to 33, I can't use voice chat in Overwatch. When I join a group, the message that I joined the group never appears, and for the other members of my group, that I'm not in the voice channel. If I go to the screen for group voice chat, I have a mute icon applied I can't remove.

Also worth noting that it doesn't appear as using the mic in Gnome Shell (if an app is using the microphone, I have mic volume controls appear; other apps like Mumble and Firefox work).

I'm using OW installed via Lutris. The Wine version is 5.21 Staging. I've tried both ALSA and Pulse (default) in Wine.
whizse Nov 17, 2020
This is probably not the issue if recording sound in other apps work, but check the sound settings in GNOME when Overwatch is running and see if what the volume level for that specific application is.

There's also a privacy setting for the microphone in the GNOME control panel, might be worth checking if it's turned off?
calvin Nov 17, 2020
I checked pavucontrol; Overwatch used to open a separate audio stream (in/out for the voice channel), but I don't see it anymore in Fedora 33 (prob because it can't join the voice channel), so it has no volume level for that.

Good point on microphone settings. It's set to on, but I don't see anything that's asked for access in there.
whizse Nov 17, 2020
The privacy thing was a red herring, in reality it seems to do squat:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/-/merge_requests/851
calvin Nov 17, 2020
Yeah, I agree. I'm leaning towards it being a Wine issue, but I don't want to look like a fool on a bug tracker if it isn't.
calvin Nov 20, 2020
Ok, I managed to get some advice and it seems the following command actually did it for me (something to do with this:

sudo update-crypto-policies --set LEGACY

Might need to reboot; I didn't seem to have to.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.