Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
What do you do?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
lolapaluuza Dec 11, 2020
Hello everybody! I'm wondering what you do in real life. This year turned out to be difficult and I myself had to change the field of activity. And I'm still looking for the perfect job. What is the ideal job for you?
tuubi Dec 11, 2020
I've been a software developer for a couple of decades, but I couldn't say about my ideal job.
omicron-b Dec 12, 2020
Yep, also changed my field of work, was working in tourism (I'm in Europe), now I'm a business analyst in a top BI company in my country.
I consider myself pretty lucky :)

Ideal job for me right now looks like any interesting job for non-profit. I'm tired of that corporate shit. Sadly in my place you need to get rich first, then work for non-profit, or to not care about money at all in the first place.

Last edited by omicron-b on 12 December 2020 at 2:20 am UTC
PublicNuisance Dec 12, 2020
I built and repaired computers for about ten years. 20 months ago that work was hard to come by when I moved towns for my wife's masters program so I took a warehouse job as a case selector. Basically I drive around gathering product and building the pallets that get shipped out to stores. I don't think I will be going back to fixing computers. Not only am I making more money in this normally and have lost 30 pounds but this job is pandemic proof so far. We remained open as an essential business and stores like Walmart ramped up orders so much that they have been throwing money at us left right and center to work OT to keep up with demand. At peak I was making $41/hr CAD during the summer for what is basically an entry level job. I also don't have to deal with people which has been so wonderful after ten years of dealing with snarky low IQ people. I don't know what my ideal job is but so far I can't complain about the logistics sector.
damarrin Dec 12, 2020
Having been a system/hardware guy all my life I got into programming a few years ago and I still haven't got my fill of it.

I now run a psychological clinic with a friend and business is booming in the pandemic. It's an all-Linux shop, too, with computers for remote psychtherapy sessions running Mint.

I'm now looking to start a software company.

The next step will be a software/hardware company.

I'd say those are my ideal jobs. I have always been doing them, but always on the side. I want to do this full time.

Last edited by damarrin on 12 December 2020 at 9:27 am UTC
TobyGornow Dec 12, 2020
I've been working for 20 years in DIY retail, plumbing & electrical equipment sales clerk. Clearly not my dream job, but...

Schedule is kinda messy, I can do 6 to 12 am and the day after 14 to 20 pm, not easy for family life.
As noted by PublicNuisance you have to deal with really low IQ customer, often aggressive when they don't understand, often smelly, in short you have to deal with all sort of people you normally won't even speak to and it's grinding away my social abilities.
Communication with colleagues and hierarchy has become a problem for me too, Facebook & Google found their way inside my company and their usage are mandatory. I'm all against big F & big G but everyone seems happy to find back their Zuckerberg dopamine induced reflex back. I must be the weirdo but I was perfectly fine with my self hosted e-mail address.

On the plus side, Pay is really good for this kind of job, I've got all the advantages you can ask for : paid health assurance, meal voucher, 13th month, bonuses etc.
Premises are great, we have an entertainment room with couches, TV + Ps4 & a pool table, bedrooms, kitchen.
Work side, I have to manage a sector of the store and it's like a real life video game, I like when my actions has an impact on the number I see on the screen at the end of the week.
And to conclude, I'm 5 min from home and that has no price.

So about the dream job, I don't think for me it really exists, it all depends on finding a balance between comfort and liking what you do. I tried looking elsewhere, I worked in banking where advantages & bonuses were insane but you have to be inhumane IMO.
I worked for a state funded company helping visual artists code their vision and I was the coder. Could've been my dream job, coding interactive things with relative freedom on linux seems good right ? Nope, schedule, work conditions, hierarchy and pay were shit tier.

Anyway, thanks for asking this question, It made me write down pros & cons and made me realize how I finally manage to find balance.

Last edited by TobyGornow on 12 December 2020 at 10:39 am UTC
Julius Dec 12, 2020
Quoting: omicron-bIdeal job for me right now looks like any interesting job for non-profit. I'm tired of that corporate shit. Sadly in my place you need to get rich first, then work for non-profit, or to not care about money at all in the first place.

Non-profit work is either more or less unpaid (as in actual volunteering, not just a low salary), or full of its own kind of corporate bullshit also.

So yeah, I work in the non-profit sector... or rather worked. The pandemic put a serious dent on that (long story) and I am currently trying to build a startup in aquaculture on the side.
whizse Dec 12, 2020
I'm just coasting on my good looks and winning personality. The trust fund helps too of course!
denyasis Dec 12, 2020
I'm a street cleaner. I recently got transferred "inside" to do office work after 15 years.

Id guess it's a dream job. I gave great coworkers, very job focused. It pays ok and has great benefits. I've been able to build a life because of it and enjoy my hobbies and family.

Not sure what else I would do. Maybe mechanical of facility maintenance? I like tinkering and fixing things and enjoy a bit of a challenge.

I'm still learning the office side of things... It's different. There's a lot more... Politics? I feel the maturity level is lower or people aren't as job/goal focused. Maybe I'm still adjusting.
Mezron Dec 14, 2020
Linux Admin for a small company (21 years) and home owner with 2 tenants (17 years).
wvstolzing Dec 14, 2020
Unemployed phd candidate with *long* overdue dissertation. Currently a parasite on my father's meager pension, for food & shelter. 'Hoping' (against hope) that I might have some sort of teaching job; & have something interesting to say that I can publish eventually.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.