Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Controller for Linux... help...
Page: 1/5»
  Go to:
ghiuma Dec 22, 2020
"Do you recommend a PC controller for Linux? I have a Nacon gc 200 wl and it often disconnects by itself, I also have a ps5 controller but it still doesn't work with all Steam games" thanks...
whizse Dec 22, 2020
I quite like the DS4, but it seems a bit pointless to buy one if you already have the DS5? I'm sure support for the controller will mature in the future.

Doesn't Steam allow you to emulate other controllers if they don't support the DS5 natively?
Liam Dawe Dec 22, 2020
Most standard Xbox controllers work, as does the Logitech F310 which I can easily recommend.
tuubi Dec 22, 2020
I've had a couple of Logitech F310 controllers and the wireless F710. All of them worked fine in pretty much everything, and I like the ergonomics, but the build quality seems pretty damn bad. All of these pads broke down the same way: the left trigger started acting up within months of purchase.

A while back I bought an 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ on recommendation of a couple of co-workers, and a cheap bluetooth dongle to go with it, and so far I'm really happy with this one. Costs a bit less than the F710, and in XInput mode it seems to work perfectly in every game I've tried so far. It's got a rechargeable battery (that can be switched out for normal AA batteries), but it can be used wired as well unlike the F710. Feels a lot more solid than any of the Logitechs, and the sticks and triggers are nicer.
Liam Dawe Dec 22, 2020
I had the opposite, my Logitech F310 only broke due to dropping it often and i'm sure my kid rolled his chair over it. Meanwhile our 8bitdo had to be opened up, and some bits moved due to a button always being pressed down.
whizse Dec 22, 2020
Quoting: tuubiA while back I bought an 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ on recommendation of a couple of co-workers, and a cheap bluetooth dongle to go with it, and so far I'm really happy with this one. Costs a bit less than the F710, and in XInput mode it seems to work perfectly in every game I've tried so far. It's got a rechargeable battery (that can be switched out for normal AA batteries), but it can be used wired as well unlike the F710. Feels a lot more solid than any of the Logitechs, and the sticks and triggers are nicer.
Yeah, those are great! 8BitDo supports LVFS/fwupd so even firmware updates are working on Linux.

Size is a bit on the small side though. Almost never use mine, mostly bought them for a retrogaming build that never happened.
ghiuma Dec 22, 2020
Thanks to everyone for the answers, I think I will buy the "8BitDo SN30 Pro +" controller even if in Italy (where I live) it costs 50 euros, more than foreign dealers.
I have 4 controllers, PS4, PS5, Nacon and the Steam controller, each of them works with some games and others not, Mass effect Andromeda only works with Nacon also The Outer worlds only works with Nacon. Outward perfectly recognizes all controllers ... etc etc ... strange isn't it?

Last edited by ghiuma on 22 December 2020 at 4:44 pm UTC
tuubi Dec 22, 2020
Quoting: Liam DaweI had the opposite, my Logitech F310 only broke due to dropping it often and i'm sure my kid rolled his chair over it. Meanwhile our 8bitdo had to be opened up, and some bits moved due to a button always being pressed down.
I guess I might have just been unlucky, but three times with three different Logitech gamepads all developing the same problem? I think I'll give other brands a chance now.

Quoting: whizse8BitDo supports LVFS/fwupd so even firmware updates are working on Linux.
Seems like they might have stopped uploading new firmware though. At least manually grabbing and updating the firmware with lvupdtool worked fine.
whizse Dec 22, 2020
Quoting: tuubiSeems like they might have stopped uploading new firmware though. At least manually grabbing and updating the firmware with lvupdtool worked fine.
Oh, that's too bad. Hope it's just a temporary oversight!
whizse Dec 22, 2020
Quoting: ghiumaThanks to everyone for the answers, I think I will buy the "8BitDo SN30 Pro +" controller even if in Italy (where I live) it costs 50 euros, more than foreign dealers.
I have 4 controllers, PS4, PS5, Nacon and the Steam controller, each of them works with some games and others not, Mass effect Andromeda only works with Nacon also The Outer worlds only works with Nacon. Outward perfectly recognizes all controllers ... etc etc ... strange isn't it?
Are you sure it's not a Steam issue? Seems such a waste to keep buying controllers if it's just a matter of finding a working configuration?
TobyGornow Dec 22, 2020
I second Liam, never had any trouble with my wired Xbox 360 controller, strong as a rock, plug and play and 100% Xinput compatible. Except for the goddamn directional cross which is imprecise as f**k. Is this better with the Elite ?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.