Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
[not-working][debian][nvidia][backtrace.txt][nfs-mw-2005][DX9c]noob:-(...
bh0laJi 1 Jan

Hello,

Game: "Need for Speed Most Wanted 2005"(1.3) from EA,

Host: (fresh net-install) Debian 10.7,

Driver: non-free nvidia 390,

Wine: from debian repos, and also from winehq repos,

Problem: Fatel error('backtrace.txt'(pastebin.com( for 6 Months))) during startup,

Special: Working on xUbuntu(the xfce edition) with wine of Ubuntu repos and non-free nvidia 390,

Steps followed from start: slightly edited bash_history(pastebin.com(for 6 Months)),

Background:

Since a few months I was playing 'nfs-mw-2005' and the original 'just-cause' on wine(from ubuntu repos) and using the non-free nvidia driver, but

I realized that xubuntu is too bloated, taking 5.6 GiBs after a fresh install, while Debian_10.6(net-install with all boxes unchecked except the 'standard system utilities') took 2.4-2.6 GiBs, and the current Debian 10.7 takes ~2.0 GiBs, so i decided to switch to debian.

Quoting: bh0laJiThis problem has been solved by installing a few more packages from,

But the easiest solution is to not use Debian if the hardware of wine-gamer's PC needs non-free firmware/driver because
Debian gives a very clear warning that debian has no control over its non-free components, due to unavailability of their source-code, and
Ubuntu and Mint/LMDE do a very patchy work, to make the non-free compontents run smoothly, especially the Nvidia.

Tanking you...

Last edited by bh0laJi on 4 January 2021 at 3:19 am UTC

damarrin 1 Jan

The 3 gigs is what makes them run.

whizse 1 Jan
  • Supporter

Did you re-use the prefix from the old Ubuntu system? Maybe try creating a new one or reinstalling the game?

denyasis 2 Jan

I think your culprit might be your install.
Looking at you're bash hx and your description of the install makes me think you are missing some components. It's been a very long time since I've done Debian, let alone a bare bones install.

I see you installed xorg and dwm. Cool. I'm not familiar with dwm at all, but can you log in? Does the gui load and other graphical programs work? From memory, almost nothing media related is going to be installed. No pulseaudio, possibly no Alsa, etc. On top of that, Debian, unlike Ubuntu, does not include anything in their offical repos that is remotely closed, so you'll be missing some packages (media codecs come to mind). Those are in 3rd party repos.

I have a feeling your base install might be a bit too barebones. I totally feel you on bloat, having an older laptop myself. It might be worth installing debian with a few more defaults, particularly a simple desktop and multimedia support, just to make sure it works.

I also see you running debian stable. It's rock solid, but runs slightly older packages. For example, dxvk is going to be old (not sure if it's even in there, tbh). You can point apt to the testing repos, but it is a one way trip and personally, I would want to make sure my system is in a good state before doing it. Breakage is rare, but does happen.

Best of luck!

bh0laJi 2 Jan

Quoting: whizseDid you re-use the prefix from the old Ubuntu system? Maybe try creating a new one or reinstalling the game?
First of all, thanking you for the reply...

I did everything fresh except the game setup.
Raw Steps:
1: Install wine from debian repos,
2: exec 'wine-cfg',
3: exec 'reboot' as root,
4: exec 'winecfg',
then "cd videoGames/wined/nfs-mw/",
then 'wine speed.exe',
5: got the 'backtrace.txt' as output in a windows-based dialogbox.

whizse 2 Jan
  • Supporter

Quoting: denyasisOn top of that, Debian, unlike Ubuntu, does not include anything in their offical repos that is remotely closed, so you'll be missing some packages (media codecs come to mind). Those are in 3rd party repos.
This was true in the past, but ffmpeg and multimedia support is shipped in main these days. One still needs firmware and microcode from non-free but third party repositories are no longer needed.

Quoting: bh0laJi1: Install wine from debian repos,
2: exec 'wine-cfg',
3: exec 'reboot' as root,
4: exec 'winecfg',
then "cd videoGames/wined/nfs-mw/",
then 'wine speed.exe',
5: got the 'backtrace.txt' as output in a windows-based dialogbox.
This created a new prefix? Or did you re-use your whole home directory from the previous install? If so it probably uses a shared prefix somewhere in ~. You might try a run with a brand new prefix, just use something like WINEPREFIX=~/Test before the command in step 4.

Does other games or applications in Wine work? Is it just this particular game that's a problem?

bh0laJi 3 Jan

First of all:
My sincere Apology for not responding for so long, this was because of me being a new member on gamingonlinux_com, as a result not being able to make more than one reply at a time:-(...

But this time I combined all the replies into one:

This problem has been solved by installing a few more packages from,

But the easiest solution is to not use Debian if the hardware of wine-gamer's PC needs non-free firmware/driver because
Debian gives a very clear warning that debian has no control over its non-free components, due to unavailability of their source-code, and
Ubuntu and Mint/LMDE do a very patchy work, to make the non-free compontents run smoothly, especially the Nvidia.

Quoting: damarrinThe 3 gigs is what makes them run.
Now I understood that why do Ubuntu takes so much care of the non-free Nvidia driver.

Quoting: whizseThis created a new prefix? Or did you re-use your whole home directory from the previous install? If so it probably uses a shared prefix somewhere in ~. You might try a run with a brand new prefix, just use something like WINEPREFIX=~/Test before the command in step 4.
Yes sir, the '.wine/' dir was completely fresh infact the whole '/home/' dir as the whole rootfs.

Quoting: whizseDoes other games or applications in Wine work? Is it just this particular game that's a problem?
Yes sir, other Applications are working fine, and now this videoGame is also working fine...
(More info.: At the end of this Post)

Quoting: denyasisI see you installed xorg and dwm. Cool. I'm not familiar with dwm at all, but can you log in? Does the gui load and other graphical programs work?
Everything except this very game is working fine...

Quoting: denyasisI totally feel you on bloat, having an older laptop myself.
Now my next target is LMDE4 + non-free_Nvidia + winehq...:-)

This problem was the result of the non-free Nvidia driver and nowhere related to either the wine(from debian repos.) nor winehq.
The below code was the output of the "wine speed.exe", but I was not able to read it because of me using xterm with 14 font size and no scrollback availability in the debian buster:-(...

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
0009:err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo  couldn't initialize OpenGL, expect problems

Last edited by bh0laJi on 4 January 2021 at 3:18 am UTC

whizse 3 Jan
  • Supporter

Quoting: bh0laJiFirst of all:
My sincere Apology for not responding for so long, this was because of me being a new member on gamingonlinux_com, as a result not being able to make more than one reply at a time:-(...
No problem!

Quoting: bh0laJiThis problem was the result of the non-free Nvidia driver and nowhere related to either the wine(from debian repos.) nor winehq.
The below code was the output of the "wine speed.exe", but I was not able to read it because of me using xterm with 14 font size and no scrollback availability in the debian buster:-(...

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
0009:err:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo  couldn't initialize OpenGL, expect problems
Mystery solved! Glad you got it sorted!

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.