Linux-Native Blood?
Serum Jan 1, 2021
Hey dudes

I really want to play the FPS game Blood. I'm hoping to play a port that's Linux-native, though, so Blood: Fresh Supply on Steam would be out of the question... I know that there are source ports such as NBlood, or BloodCM.

My question is, what files do I need for these source ports? There's like 3 versions of Blood that I'm seeing. Fresh Supply, the DOS version, and "Blood: One Unit Whole Blood". Which one of these should I use for NBlood?

Thanks!
ageres Jan 2, 2021
https://github.com/nukeykt/NBlood
Quote1. Extract NBlood to a new directory
2. Copy the following files from Blood 1.21 to NBlood folder:

BLOOD.INI
BLOOD.RFF
BLOOD000.DEM, ..., BLOOD003.DEM (optional)
CP01.MAP, ..., CP09.MAP (optional, Cryptic Passage)
CPART07.AR_ (optional, Cryptic Passage)
CPART15.AR_ (optional, Cryptic Passage)
CPBB01.MAP, ..., CPBB04.MAP (optional, Cryptic Passage)
CPSL.MAP (optional, Cryptic Passage)
CRYPTIC.INI (optional, Cryptic Passage)
CRYPTIC.SMK (optional, Cryptic Passage)
CRYPTIC.WAV (optional, Cryptic Passage)
GUI.RFF
SOUNDS.RFF
SURFACE.DAT
TILES000.ART, ..., TILES017.ART
VOXEL.DAT

3. Optionally, if you want to use CD audio tracks instead of MIDI, provide FLAC/OGG recordings in following format: bloodXX.flac/ogg, where XX is track number. Make sure to enable Redbook audio option in sound menu.
4. Optionally, if you want cutscenes and you have the original CD, copy the `movie` folder into NBlood's folder (the folder itself too).
Any version would be ok.

I prefer to not put addons files into the game's folder directly (moreover, some of them have the same names), but do the opposite and copy 'nblood' into them and launch with, like, 'exec ./nblood -ini CRYPTIC.INI'.

BTW, Fresh Supply works fine in Proton. Quicksaving takes too much time though, so I prefer NBlood.
Hamish Jan 2, 2021
One Unit: Whole Blood is the final DOS release with all the expansions. That is what you want for the data, but it is now only sold as a bonus with Fresh Supply from GOG.com unfortunately. A shame as when I bought it in 2015 it was as a Linux sale due to the DOSBox wrapper included.

As for ports both BloodGDX and NBlood are reasonably mature options with their own strengths and weaknesses. Both are arguably superior to Fresh Supply in several respects.

You can see them all compared here:
http://www.blood-wiki.org/index.php?title=List_of_Source_Ports_and_Recreations

There is also Raze but I have no experience with it yet. It is a modified GZDoom with NBlood code.

Last edited by Hamish on 2 January 2021 at 7:22 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.