Join us on our own very special Reddit: /r/Linuxers
Bethesda games modding
dvd 24 Jan
Past few days I've iterated through a couple of wine/proton versions and mod managers trying to set up fallout NV with a couple of mods (~50, nothing too crazy). However, the results were bad each time. The most stable of the setups was using the rather old FNV gog script in lutris then installing MO2 in the prefix. This resulted in a game without any sound and MO2 being quite unstable (missing models/textures on some runs, which are fine on the other).

As for the sound, i tried setting multiple audio drivers (oss/alsa/pulse) as well as going over installing xact and faudio in the prefix, none of them worked (or produced anything related to them in the logs).

I would be curious about if someone has any newer/older title with working mods too, as the usual sites give little and inconsistent information about this, and the modern tools/mod managers feel broken on linux.
WorMzy 25 Jan
I recently started playing Oblivion again (in Proton), and I had some Fun™ setting up Darnified UI (because the default UI is basically unusable) and the unofficial patches. I also grabbed Wrye Bash and Oblivion Mod Manager, but neither really worked properly (Wrye Bash appears to install things, but then continues to show them as uninstalled until I manually extract them to the correct location manually). I was tempted to install obse and some related scripts to make the UI even less sucky, but the amount of faff it took to get Danified working has put me off doing that for now. Will see how long it takes me to get pissed off at the lack of a "take all" keyboard shortcut, or the ability to sort spells by school, or see all items in a single list, sorted by weight/value....
dvd 25 Jan
Quoting: WorMzyI recently started playing Oblivion again (in Proton), and I had some Fun™ setting up Darnified UI (because the default UI is basically unusable) and the unofficial patches. I also grabbed Wrye Bash and Oblivion Mod Manager, but neither really worked properly (Wrye Bash appears to install things, but then continues to show them as uninstalled until I manually extract them to the correct location manually). I was tempted to install obse and some related scripts to make the UI even less sucky, but the amount of faff it took to get Danified working has put me off doing that for now. Will see how long it takes me to get pissed off at the lack of a "take all" keyboard shortcut, or the ability to sort spells by school, or see all items in a single list, sorted by weight/value....

The obse and the 4gb patch should work well, those two are the only ones that basically work if you do them by hand. I would recommend getting xobse, it's a more up to date community maintained version, and it (at least with fnv) works fine with the gog version too.

It's a shame getting a working setup is this difficult, as at least half the value in these games are from the mods.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.