You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Google Stadia Devs Were Misled & Lied To By Execs
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
RedBatman Feb 19, 2021
Vid by Yongyea. Such as shame Google, disgrace to Linux gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfg-TXC4aB4
damarrin Feb 19, 2021
So? It’s shitty behaviour but hardly something to be up in arms about.

It happens a lot that people get terminated without warning. Especially these days, giving people notice means someone will go blabbing all over the internet and the company won’t be able to mitigate the damage with carefully prepared messaging.

This is a “disgrace to Linux gaming” how, exactly?

Last edited by damarrin on 19 February 2021 at 6:44 am UTC
tuubi Feb 19, 2021
Quoting: damarrinIt happens a lot that people get terminated without warning. Especially these days, giving people notice means someone will go blabbing all over the internet and the company won’t be able to mitigate the damage with carefully prepared messaging.
I'd argue that a bad employer deserves some bad press. If their decision hurts the employees, it's fine if it hurts the company.
Liam Dawe Feb 19, 2021
QuoteYongYea
No thanks. Just regurgitating info from other people as usual.

Quotedisgrace to Linux gaming
Wat. Stop it.

As said by others, this type of dumpster fire happens quite often. Studios get shut down all the time. Doesn't mean Google get a free pass, what they did sucks but you're being silly about this and YongYea calling it a "con" just proves yet again he knows nothing about business.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 19 February 2021 at 10:53 am UTC
damarrin Feb 19, 2021
Oh, yeah, I haven’t heard of this person before, but in the 2 mins of the video I watched he came across an utter twat.

Though I guess that translates to subscribers and ad revenue, so what do I know.
RedBatman Feb 19, 2021
Quoting: Liam Dawe
QuoteYongYea
No thanks. Just regurgitating info from other people as usual.

Quotedisgrace to Linux gaming
Wat. Stop it.

As said by others, this type of dumpster fire happens quite often. Studios get shut down all the time. Doesn't mean Google get a free pass, what they did sucks but you're being silly about this and YongYea calling it a "con" just proves yet again he knows nothing about business.

Well it's just Google has a history of making products then killing them off after a small time on the market. Remember Google Glass? Also Devs treating their employees terribly needs to be voiced more often. This industry has really been unfair to the actual game makers and coders who give a lot of their time and effort on a game only to be sidelined like this.

Stadia also had a chance to be a great benefit for Linux gaming especially for ports. But once again Google drops the ball.
Mezron Feb 20, 2021
That wording by the OP is awful. The content of Yongyea videos is awful. His vid come up often and they are 5 mins of content stretched out. How he handled the "Immortals Fenyx Rising" being a playable demo on Stadia for free first was dreadful.

There is no such thing as a disgrace to linux gaming as no one company holds it in it's hands. Maybe I'm too old to get the reasoning for the wording but linux gaming has been rocketing since I started playing games on it in the late 90's. Linux gaming was here before Google, it will be here after. Companies have came and went and yet games still keep coming out. All because good ppl added to the community. Not just companies.

Last edited by Mezron on 20 February 2021 at 3:18 pm UTC
Koopacabras Feb 20, 2021
as they say in America they gave 'em the Pink Slips... surprising that in Murica they can fire u without notice, here they have to give you a notice before three months, hopefully this highly qualified devs can get a job fast, and meanwhile they can enjoy the benefits of the unemployemnt insurance which btw we don't have here.

what's even more surprising is the treatment that google gives to their employees given the fact that is ranked as one of the nicest or even the nicer place to work in the world according to some international rankings. it's all a fake, "you are fired" rules this companies, it's the golden rule.

is this how google rewards good programmers? I agree with tubi they deserve all the bad press they are getting, google is over rated, it should have the same bad press as facebook imho.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 20 February 2021 at 5:27 pm UTC
RedBatman Feb 20, 2021
Quoting: The_Aquabatas they say in America they gave 'em the Pink Slips... surprising that in Murica they can fire u without notice, here they have to give you a notice before three months, hopefully this highly qualified devs can get a job fast, and meanwhile they can enjoy the benefits of the unemployemnt insurance which btw we don't have here.

what's even more surprising is the treatment that google gives to their employees given the fact that is ranked as one of the nicest or even the nicer place to work in the world according to some international rankings. it's all a fake, "you are fired" rules this companies, it's the golden rule.

is this how google rewards good programmers? I agree with tubi they deserve all the bad press they are getting, google is over rated, it should have the same bad press as facebook imho.

I think what sucks is that Google came from humble roots and they let the success go to their heads. Of course with how the current political climate is, I'm not too shocked with how they treat people.

Its like how it was in ancient Greece, people want to be viewed as just and wholesome. But its all a façade and they are unjust an amoral deep down.
damarrin Feb 22, 2021
What humble roots? They got millions in investment right off the bat.
damarrin Feb 23, 2021
I'm not happy to bump a thread I don't agree with, but this is having new unexpected repercussions:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-23-stadia-struggling-to-fix-journey-to-the-savage-planet-bug-after-firing-developer

Journey to the Savage Planet is now broken on Stadia and since they fired the developers that made it, they can't fix it.

I wouldn't be mentioning Stadia's Linux ties to anyone in these circumstances, the last thing we want is people associating Linux with these kinds of messes in their heads.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.